I had the profractional laser done on my neck a week ago. My skin seems to be more saggy and wrinkled than before.

I've has laser on my face no problem in the past, but i'm concerned because it seems like the elasticity of my neck has been compromised. Can this be reversed? I have a turkey neck now and never that one in the past.

Pro Fractional Therapy

Thank you for your question juno. The Pro Fractional Therapy treatment stimulates collagen and tightens the skin. Collagen formation does not occur overnight or even in one week. It can take several months to see improvement. Patience is important, as are high quality before and after photographs. In our office we usually perform a series of Pro Fractional treatments. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Neck skin more saggy and wrinkled following profractional laser.

The profractional laser will not increase skin laxity.  Any perceived laxity is most likely a result of inflammatory swelling. Improved skin quality is do to collagen production that takes place over the next 6 months.  The energy setting for neck treatment is less than for the face. The results may be less than the results for the face..  The result cannot be judged at 1 week.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Saggy and wrinkled one week post op

Juno4, sorry to hear that you have these concerns, but at 1 week it is simply too premature to make any kind of aesthetic judgement about the results of treatment.  As you are probably aware, pro fractional laser treatment allows more aggressive settings, with more energy and greater depth of penetration, treating only a fraction of the skin to permit more rapid healing.  It is very likely that you are seeing the influence of swelling and inflammation on the skin.  You should discuss your concerns with the treating physician, and allow months for the result to mature.  Best of luck!

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Early days

I don't think you should worry too much at this stage. It is only a week, and collagen stimulation needs a few weeks to months to kick in. I would not stress at this point. For neck treatments you will need additional sessions, because unlike facial skin we can not treat the neck aggressively due to healing times. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist