How common are allergic reactions to Sculptra?

I had one vial of sculptra done both temples and jaw line I was scared because I have bad reactions to fillers the first week I had ichy area and two weeks later one side looked like mosquito bites. Could that be an allergic reaction ? It took three weeks for everything to go back to normal how long should I wait until I can have another treatment the doctor said usually 6 weeks. My doctor moved his practice is there any good injectors in westchester county. I paid 600

Sculptra and allergic reactions

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello, sculptra allergies are extremely rare. In fact, it is the same material as a surgical suture that is commonly used in the skin and/or other tissues. A skin bleb test can easily determine if you are allergic to any of the other components used in the dilution of the product but this would be very rare also. We are not in Westchester but are located just over the border in Stamford. Good luck.

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Allergic reactions to Sculptra

It is highly unlikely that you are allergic to the Sculptra compound itself but much more likely that you are allergic to preservatives in the solutions used to reconstitute the crystallized Sculptra material so it can be injected.     You should have the doctor who treated you do a skin test (bleb under the skin like a PPD test) to see if you are allergic to the materials and preservatives he/she used to make up the Sculptra solution.  If you pass that test then try again and take a benadryl ...25 mg.   on your next injection......Good luck   Dr Loeb

Thomas W. Loeb, MD

Sculptra and Allergic Reactions: Rare

Sculptra reactions are rare and usually are associated with what was used to wash the skin or what it was reconstituted in. It sounds like you did have a reaction to something and fortunately it did go away. Try testing a small area like you would for an allergy test or PPD before having another round of injections. I would separate each injection round by 6 weeks. Stick with it if you don't react to it because Sculptra can provide long lasting enhancement of the temples, cheeks and chin. 

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Sculptra reactions

Allergic reactions to Sculptra are extremely rare, but as noted below, as skin bleb can be used to detect allergies in the future.  Sculptra works but stimulating the immune system and in reaction, your body forms collagen.  It can yield beautiful results but does require several treatments and it's important that you go to a real expert since the results are very technique dependent and are long lasting.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon