Advice for Sagging Breasts After Weight Loss?

I am 29 and have recently lost 100 lbs. I have always had large breasts (46 DDD) now that I have lost the weight I feel so insecure, my chest is saggy and looks like giant rasins. I have always loved my large chest. Now I wear a 38 DDD, the cup size didn't go down, but my skin is just loose and gross. I still want very large brests. The rest of my body is responding nicely to all my working out. I want to be excited about my weight loss. Do you have advice?

Breast Surgery Following Weight Loss

Massive weight loss of more then 100 lbs can significantly affect a women’s body. Weight loss of this magnitude can cause loose saggy skin in multiple anatomic areas. It’s not unusual for women to lose breast volume and develop breast sag, when this type of weight loss occurs. For this reason, they frequently request breast lift and breast augmentation surgery.

Without pictures and a physical exam it’s hard to know what option is best for you. The majority of patients want restoration of breast volume, correction of breast sag, upper breast fullness and symmetry. The majority of patients require a keyhole mastopexy. In some cases a breast implant is necessary to create upper breast fullness and restore breast volume.

Breast implants can be placed at the time of the breast lift or delayed and performed as a secondary procedure. Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages and many surgeons have strong opinions about this topic.

When both procedures are performed together, revisions are frequently necessary. For this reason, some surgeons feel that staging the procedure is appropriate. Advocates for a combined procedure feel that this approach saves the majority of patients a secondary procedure. They don’t view a secondary procedure as a complication but instead as a necessary next step.

It’s appropriate to individualize care for each patient. In some patients, a combined procedure is indicated while in others a staged approach is necessary.

If your considering breast augmentation and breast lift following massive weight loss, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to help you formulate a treatment plan that will meet your needs. 

Breast Surgery after Weight Loss

There are multiple techniques to achieve excellent breast results after weight loss. From the surgical standpoint, the best option for rejuvenating the breasts after losing weight are either a breast augmentation and/or a breast lift. Sometime a combination of the two procedures will provide the best results possible. As long as you are willing to have a scar, you can anticipate lifted, perkier and larger breasts. Depending on your anatomy, the type of scar can vary. Sometimes, a circular scar around the areola will be sufficient, other times a keyhole of lollipop type or anchor scar may be needed. Hope that helps!

Sincerely,
Joshua Kreithen, M.D.
Sarasota, FL

Joshua Kreithen, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift question

Thank you for your question. The situation you describe is the most common I see in my patients who require breast lift surgery. After massive weight loss the skin sags because of a loss of elasticity, as well as skin tone. In addition during pregnancy hormones will change skin quality and type.  Pictures would be necessary as well as an in person exam. However in your circumstance most patients want fullness on the upper part of the breast back, as well as a reshaping procedure. For this, you would require a breast implant as well as a lift. The implant would give the proper volume and fullness to the upper aspect of the breast. While the lift would reshape the tissues raise the nipple and tighten the skin. I think this is an excellent operation when done safely. Patients are often concerned about the quality of the scars, however I feel that the benefits of the reshaping procedure far out we the consequences of scarring. Only an in person consultation will let you determine what size implant would be properly involved and answer your questions regarding the operation and recovery. Hope this helps and good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift after weight loss

Congragulations!  You did a remarkable thing for your health!  Yes your breast can and will look better with mastopexy with implants.  Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and have a thorough discussion about your expectations.

Saira Saini, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Are there any suggestions for sagging breasts following weight loss?

When many women lose #weight, their breasts lose weight as well. There may also be some sagging of their breasts due to the weight change. These women are potential candidates for a breast lift. A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. Those with breast #sagging or #ptosis experience improvements with the surgery. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired as well. Also, during the procedure, the nipple and areolae can be corrected, if necessary, to the desired size and at the correct height. All in all, an elevated, more youthful breast can be a satisfying result for the patient following their #weightloss.

Sagging Breast after Weight Loss

Mastopexy is a procedure to move the nipple areola to a normal position, reduce the areolar size to a youthful diameter, remove and even up sagging tissue, and create a fuller more youthful shape to the breast mound. it can often be done without an implant as long as you understand that you will be slightly smaller after the surgery and not have as much cleavage and upper pole fullness as women that choose an implant. Look at lots of picture of before/after of women with and without implants and decide what is right for you. Good Luck!!

Breast lifting after weight loss

Weight loss can have a dramatic impact on your entire body, and the breasts are no exception to this.  In many cases a properly executed breast lift is able to remove excess skin and reshape the breast to achieve a more desirable appearance.  In some cases implants can be used as well to achieve the desired shape.  Each patient's goals and anatomy differ, so discussing this with your surgeon is your best place to start.  

Advice for sagging breasts after weight loss?

Most women after a significant amount of weight loss, will need a mastopexy and breast implants to restore the volume and upper pole of the breasts. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine what is  best for you.

Donna Rich, MD

Breast Lift Will Give You a Nice Outcome

Breast lift surgery will use the volume that you already have and reposition it higher, perkier, and tighter on your chest. Weight loss results in excess skin, which must be removed by lifting the breasts to give you the right shape!

Sagging breasts after weight loss

Your situation is very common.  While it is similar in many ways to what happens to many women after several children and breast feeding there are some unique elements about weight loss that you need to consider.

Essentially you need to address both the SHAPE and the VOLUME of your breasts

Shape means a lift.  Given the amount of weight you have lost you will likely need an anchor lift.  Volume means adding an implant either saline or silicone

Now since you have lost a lot of weight you must be careful not to go too big as your skins elastisity will never be the same and while it will look good for a short time it may sag again.  Addtionally your surgeon must be careful not to be too aggressive with creating your pocket because weightloss patients are at risk for malposition of the implant....meaning it sits in the wrong location.

Hope that helps

Dr Rahban

Rady Rahban, MD