2 Weeks Post Op to my Breast Augmentation, When Can I Start Sleeping on my Side?

My back has been really sore laying on my back all the time. I do not even get enough sleeping because of pain. And whats the purpose of sleeping on your back for ? Just curious. Thank you for your answers , I appreciate your time !

When can you sleep on your side

Thanks for a good question.  The truth is every surgeon does does a little bit different operation than there colleagues, for example some make snug pockets and others are more aggressive.  Our post-operative philosophies are based on experience with our technique getting a good, predictable response--thus you should follow your surgeon's advise.  In my experience, I do not want patient's to sleep on their side for at least two weeks because I do not want lateral displacement of the implant (toward the armpit), and I also do not want patients to turn over from their side to their stomach-which is easy to do if you are already positioned on your side.  These are some of my reasons, but many of my colleagues may disagree.

When Can I Sleep On My Side After Breast Augmentation?

Dear Hiralpatel,

This is a good subject to ask your plastic surgeon since they will have their post-operative routine that works best for their patients. In my practice, I do not require the patients to sleep in any particular position after surgery but I do require them to wear a well-fitted, supportive bra for three to four weeks after surgery.  Give your plastic surgeon's office a call tomorrow and I hope you can get a good night's sleep soon.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on Side after Breast Augmentation?

I would suggest that you run this question by your plastic surgeon given that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care and knows  your situation and the operation performed intimately.
In my practice, most patients are able to sleep on their side roughly 2-3 weeks after surgery (with supportive bra on).

Thank you for submitting ypur question. I tell my patients to sleep on their back a minimum of 4-6 weeks. Best wishes.  

IDEAL SLEEPING POSITION AFTER BREAST AUGMENTATION

Sleeping on your back is recommended for the first few weeks of surgery to minimise any potential wound healing problems or implant displacement concerns. This is my general recommendation but for the very reasons you state, its often not practical.

In the beginning, sleeping is generally more comfortable on your back, although propping yourself up on a few pillows or sleeping in a recliner chair for the first few days is what many people find the most comfortable. Assistance getting up and down is often required for these first few days.

By the 3rd week a reasonable scar capsule is starting to form around the implant, and by 6 weeks it is very well formed and therefore the implant position is "secured".

So ideally you should sleep on your back for the first 6 weeks. Unfortunately this is not practical and I don't want my patients worrying because they woke up and found themselves sleeping on their stomach. Therefore, beyond the first few weeks I don't recommend any particular sleep position. Ultimately you move around in your sleep so no matter what position you go to sleep in, you'll move whilst asleep and your subconscious/sleep state will always adjust itself to a comfortable position.

Eddy Dona, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after Breast Augmentation?

I recommend to all my patients that they sleep on their back for 2-3 weeks after a breast augmentation  to avoid shifting of their implants in the pocket while it is still healing around the implant. Be sure to check with your surgeon to determine what their specific recommendations are, since each doctor has a different technique in regards to their surgery and this can have a big effect on recovery.

Sleeping on the side after breast augmentation

Thank you for the question.  Doctors have different opinions on the matter.  Usually around 2-3 weeks after surgery should be fine but it would be best to seek advice from your plastic surgeon. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Sleep on your back for 4-6 weeks.

Following breast augmentation, there’s always the potential for breast implants to shift and every effort should be made to avoid this problem.In the post-operative period, we recommend that patients sleep on their back for 4 to 6 weeks following surgery.
Sleeping on the abdomen or on the side in the early post-operative period has the potential to cause shifting of breast implants and should therefore, be avoided.Sleeping on the back is difficult for some patients and they often move to their side without knowing it.For these reasons, we recommend that patients sleep in a recliner.
After 6 weeks, we allow patients to resume all their normal activities without restrictions.

Sleeping On Ones Side After Breast Surgery

Every surgeon is different with the post-op instructions. I believe that your safest bet is to consult with your surgeon as he/she knows the fullest details of your procedure.

Usually, to sleep on your side requires you wearing a supportive garment/bra. Usually, a breast augmentation patient can sleep on her side 2-3 weeks post-op depending on the level of recovery achieved.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Hello

This is a great question for your surgeon, In our practice we usually tell our patients that after 2 weeks its ok to sleep on your side with the understanding that we don't want pressure on your incisions.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)