I Want my Face to Look Fatter and Rounder. It's Long and Skinny, What Can I Do?

I am not old, and i dont have wrinkles, i just have a long and skinny face and i want it to be more rounder and fatter. Can radiesee be injected into my face around my upper jaw line (by my ear) to make it appear rounder?? Thanks

Doctor Answers 10

Jawline and wanting a fatter face


Thank you for your question. If it is full face volumizing that you are looking for the best filler is Sculptra. You may also want to consider a hyaluronic acid filler as a first time patient because you can reverse it. Radiesse and Sculptra we can not reverse.

Hope this helps.


Dr. M

New York Dermatologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

I want my face to look rounder and fatter

Usually our face looks thinner as we age primarily from lose of volume in our mid face / cheek area, but younger people can have thinness in this area too. The best way to make the face fuller is to add volume in this portion of the face, and radiesse or voluma are the best most predictable fillers.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

I Want my Face to Look Fatter and Rounder. It's Long and Skinny, What Can I Do?

 Photos would help in the evaluation but aesthetically, the face appears long, drawn and rectangular when the cheeks are flat.  Augmenting the cheeks with fillers (I prefer Perlane to Radiesse as it molds and flows better IMO) or cheek implants will change the shape to a more aesthetically pleasing one if the proper aesthetics of facial beauty are understood and followed.  here's a link to demonstrate filler injections to the cheeks.  Hope this helps.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Volumize a thin face

Most old thin faces need to be volumized from the temples down because of loss of temple volume causing face to look skeletal. For such a project I would start with Sculptra.  A younger face might need this volume but might do well with volume added to the mid facial region only. For this I would use Radiesse or Restylane Lyft. If you could send a photo that would help.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Radiesse For Volume At Face

Radiesse, Voluma, and Sculptra can all be used to add volume to the face. It is difficult to tell you exactly what you need and what would work best for your goals without seeing you in person. Fat grafting could also be an option for you as well. It is best to have a consultation so that the treatment can be explained in detail and to determine what the best treatment would be for your needs.

Steven H. Williams, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Radiesse and Making a Fatter, Rounder Face

  Radiesse can be injected at different points in the face to help plump the look of the face.  If you are looking for significant volume you may want to consider facial fat grafting.   Kenneth Hughes, MD facial fat grafting Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Rounding the Face

It's hard to tell exactly what you're looking for especially without pictures, but it sounds like what you're describing may be a "skinny" face. There are two options here: one, you could explore the use of Sculptra to create more volume over time. Two, you could use Radiesse or other fillers to pinpoint areas on the face that would help you look more youthful, such as the cheeks and nasolabial folds. See a physician in person to discuss more in detail. Best of luck!

Cameron Rokhsar, MD, FAAD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

A rounded face is more youthful than a long and narrow face. Sculptra is your best choice

You hit the nail on the head.  As we age your fat pads, bones, jaw, and muscles in the face all atrophy.  This creates a longer and skinnier face which ages us.  To recreate the more rounded appearance of a youthful face, fillers are the answer.  Sculptra is great for this because it is a long last volumizer, which can be injected in multiple areas such as the temples, preauricular area, upper and lower cheek, jawline, and marionette area.  I can't be used too close to the eyes or mouth area because of nodule formation, and that is where an HA filler is good.  Can this all be done with Radiesse or Restylane?  Yes, but the expense would be much more than Sculptra, and the duration would be less.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Sculptra would be my recommendation

Sculptra is a fantastic option and will give you long-lasting results.  The Sculptra beads dissolve over a 2 year period of time stimulating deposition of your own collagen.  After the beads are gone you are left with a thick blanket of your own natural collagen that will last for years after.  You can continue to add to the treatment as you desire.  It is one of my favorite fillers.

Curt Samlaska, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Can filler be used to widen and narrow and long face?

Yes. Both Radiesse and Sculptra and very helpful for adding volume to the midface, temples and jawline. For a long and thin face, this can provide more width and balance to the face. Another option for the midface would be cheek implants to permanently add volume to the cheeks. This is obviously generic advice and you would need to submit photos or present for a consultation to figure out what would really be helpful for your specific concerns.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 129 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.