5'8 130lbs having trouble picking implant size, would love some advice? (Photos)

I'm 5'8 and 130lbs my chest wall is 12.3cm, I usually wear a 32b bra but I am definitely an a, I'm not looking for big big boobs, just around a full c. I'm way more bottom heavy than I am top, I've just always had no boobs and have wanted a boob job since I was 12 and I am now 18 and my surgery is in January! I want my boobs to be noticeable and I'm not worried about them looking fake I don't mind, I am set on high profiles but I don't know whether to get 325cc-375cc, the pics are my wish boobs

Picking the right size implant

Thank you very much for your question. Based on your information, your upcoming breast augmentation should help to achieve your desired results. My recommendation is that you work with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon. He/she will be able to guide you through the process of picking the right size and shape implant for your body type and lifestyle. Bring these pictures of your ‘dream boobs’ with you to the appointment. During the consultation, you should have the opportunity to try on a variety of breast implant sizers. To get a realistic idea of how each implant volume will look on you, try these sizers on under a non-padded bra and sheer t-shirt.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Your breast width of 12.3 on a 5'8" frame seems quite narrow. If that is the measurement,  I would lean towards the smaller of the two sizes you mentioned. Even on a tall frame you should aim to keep the width of the implant at or narrower than your breast width. 

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and photos and your desired result is very realizable.  So go on some complimentary consultations, put implants in a bra till you see the volume on your chest that you like and then after measurements have your surgeon pick the best shaped implant for you at that volume

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

5'8 130lbs having trouble picking implant size, would love some advice?

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos, you appear to have a nice starting place and should have a nice result with breast augmentation surgery. 

The most important factor when sizing implants, is working closely with your surgeon in person to find the implant size that gives you the look that you desire. Careful measurements of your breast and chest wall will help determine which size implants will fit within your natural breast footprint. Taking into account your desired look, and your measurements, an implant is chosen that specifically fits your body.

Unfortunately, online recommendations are not that helpful. Make sure that you have a good relationship with your plastic surgeon, so that you two can work together to find the right size.

In my office, patients try on implants in a bra and clothing. There able to see how they look in the mirror, and in photographs. Women are also encouraged to bring in wish pictures, so that I can get a sense of the look that they would like to achieve.

Good luck with the process!

Selecting the Correct Implant to Achieve Your Goals

Hello and thank-you for your photos and question!

Selecting the correct implant size is among the most important decisions in a successful breast augmentation procedure. Placement of the identical implant will not produce the same results in all patients due to differences in:

1.Dimentions of the breast
2.Diameter of the chest
3.Volume of breast tissue
4. Height and weight
5. Breast shape, including breast ptosis and asymmetry

I rely on 3 methods to advise my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel implant sizing
3. 3-Dimensional Vectra imageing system.

At the time of consultation, measurements are taken allowing for dimensional planning to select the implant which best fits the base diameter of the breast. Gel implant sizing is performed to allow you to visualize augmentation the with the various sized implants. Vectra 3-D imaging has been a very important method in my practice in selecting the correct implant size and shape as it allows you to see what you will look like following augmentation with any of the available implants. I would recommend and in person consultation with a plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best of Luck,

Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Based on your wish photos I would lean more towards the 3 75 cc if your surgeon agrees that this size fits your base with properly.  He desired photos show rather full breasts in the full C small D range.

Picking the right implants.

Hi and thank you for the question. The 325-375 range should work well for you. Those are conservative size implants that should allow you to get a nice, natural result. One thing to consider is to go for a consult with a plastic surgeon who uses the Vectra 3d imaging system. We use this to show patients what they would look like with any size or style implant. Good luck to you. 

Dr West

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the best implant size

Thank you for your question.  Choosing the best implant size cannot be done by any of us on realself. Your physical exam to determine the width and other breast dimensions as well as the quality of the skin is extremely important.  You need to discuss your desired outcome with your surgeon and using the previously discussed information, you and your surgeon will pick a great implant.  These dimensions will determine if you need a high profile implant or a different projection. I really like vectra 3d imaging and use it for all of my augmentation patients. It gives a realistic idea of the outcome with different sizes of implants. Additionally it can show you how small the difference in 50cc really is when speak out around an implant.  Those implants are so similar in size, you will be happy with either. Now the number one complaint is "I wish I went bigger", so when a patient is having a hard time choosing between 50cc, my advice is use the larger implant. Good luck to you.

Breast Augment

Picking the right breast implant is a very complex process and requires knowledge and understanding of the chest dimensions breast dimensions the quality of skin and muscle and patient goals. This is a job for a surgeon who does this several times a week, not for a young woman who's never done it once. If the surgeon is making you choose the implants, you would do well to choose a different surgeon. All you should need to do is show the doctor photos of your wish look and it is The job of the surgeon to get the look you want or explained why it can't be done.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD