Fraxel Dual Side effects; How long will the redness last? (Photo)

In dire need of some advise and reassurance. About four months ago, I walked into a laser clinic in Toronto seeking treatment for a) my pigmentation from acne and b) for the lack of elasticity in my skin. I was treated with fraxel dual and was told I would have a speedy recovery. However, I still have redness and am extremely worried. Will this go away? Is this redness, pigmentation or both? What steps should I take form here? Is it treatable? How long with it last? Thanks

Fraxel and redness

Fraxel is one of my favorite lasers since the redness only lasts for a few days.  I am not certain that you received the Fraxel Dual. I would consult a board certified dermatologist who has a great deal of expertise with Fraxel to consider your options.  The V-Beam laser works very well at reducing redness but may take several treatments. Please keep us posted.

Fraxel

The recovery process with the Fraxel Dual is significantly less than traditional ablative laser treatments.A patient can expect redness and swelling for 2 to 3 days if they get the 1550nm laser on the Dual, or some swelling, redness and brown crusting for 7 days if the get the 1927nm laser on the Dual. These are all normal signs indicating that the skin is healing and the deep tissue is being repaired.However, our patients generally return to work and normal activities within 2-3 days with the 1550nm laser and 5-7 days with the 1927nm laser. It is important to realize that recovery varies from patient to patient. In some patients, redness or a pink tone may persist on the skin for longer periods of time.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin redness

Dear roni1234,

Thank you for your clinical post and photographs. The fractional resurfacing including the Fraxel DUAL for acne scarring can be an excellent treatment. However, many patients with acne scarring also have underlying red tones to the skin, flushing, erythema and even rosacea. The Fraxel resurfacing process creates a micro inflammatory lesion, which has to heal with new collagen and Elastin and hopefully improves the texture of the acne scars. However, the same thermal stimulation will also aggravate any underlying recurrence of rosacea or erythema. Prolonged erythema and redness can ensue and generally starting 6 weeks following fractional resurfacing. treatments with intense pulsed light fotofacial or even non-bruising settings using a pulse dye laser will help blend in any hyperpigmentation from the fractional resurfacing as well as quiet down any redness. Gentle microdermabrasions and a medical skin care program is also synergistic.

At this point in time I would go back and talk to your fractional resurfacing, Fraxel DUAL physician for some advise in how to resolve your post Fraxel symptoms, which are treatable and not uncommon.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

For more information, please review the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD