Which filler would you recommend to use for wider, square jaw?

I'm thinking of using a filler to obtain a wider (more square) jaw (I'm male). As I'm very reluctant to go for jaw implants (mandibular angle implants): 1) Which is the best filler to widen the jaw for a square look Radiesse or Voluma (or something else perhaps)? 2) Which sites should be injected for that look- just the angle of the mandible or also the jawlines themselves?

Square jaw

Dear Curious_Inquirer,

The use of soft tissue fillers to improve and enhance the shape of a jaw is an excellent aesthetic procedural choice. To masculinize the jaw along the back angle, ascending ramus of the jaw and posterior border is extremely important and provides a very masculine look to the jawline, accentuating the light-shadow reflexes of this region.

I have been performing soft tissue sculpting and volume lifting procedures for almost 20 years. The injection of a man’s jaw is an important part of restructuring the face and maintaining a youthful, strong male appearance.

The use of fillers generally is decided upon between the patient and the physician; however, I much prefer long-lasting soft tissue sugar gels, as they are reversible if you do not like the shape. If there is an intravascular injection accidentally, cataclysmic postoperative complications such as necrotic skin can be avoided with products such as Voluma™, which can be digested with a soft tissue enzyme. I also perform fat grafting quite commonly to the jaw line and this can be a good option if you have extra areas of donor fat.
In general, jawline shaping is an excellent way to rejuvenate the face and Juvéderm® Voluma™, fat grafting or Radiesse® would be good options.

I trust this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

Jawline Contouring With Fillers

Radiesse and Voluma work very well for lifting, but Radiesse is much better at giving a more structured and defined contour.  I suggest going to an injector with experience in treating men, even if that means traveling far for the treatment.  This is the type of treatment I do quite frequently and suggest seeking only the most qualified.  Fat injections also work very well in this area and last quite a long time when injected properly.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Radiesse & Voluma XC Work Well For Creating A Masculine Wider, Squarer Jawline

In my Upper East Side Manhattan practice, for creating a squarer, more masculine jawline, I prefer to combine both Radiesse and Voluma XC for this purpose. In my Israel satellite office where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved injectable products are available, I typically opt for Radiesse combined with Stylage XXL or Restylane SQ.

What is most important is seeking consultation and treatment by a board certified core aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in treating male patients. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Voluma, Sculptra and Radiesse are all good choices to square up the jawline.

I like Voluma, especially if there is good underlying bone support for the filler.  Sculptra is very good to add general volume.  Radiesse is also good, but personally I prefer Voluma.  A good consultation with an experience doctor who does volumizing with all of the filler would give you a chance to here the pros and cons of each filler choice.  Good luck!

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler for a wider masculine jawline

I also prefer Radiesse for this as it is a bit thicker and lasts a fairly long time compared to most of others. Voluma might be another good choice but I have not tried it for this yet.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Jaw filler

I prefer the hyaluronic acid filles which can be dissolved if the patient does not like it. I like Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus.  Voluma is probably ok as well.

Jawline filler injection

Thank you for your question. I prefer using Radiesse for this area and eventually Artefill as I feel patients benefit from a long-lasting injectable in this region.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

While both are used, I have been using Radiesse for many years to provide angularity to the jawline.  The procedure is quick; little downtime; and the results last approximately 1 year.

Filler for jawline

Both Radiesse and Voluma would work but Voluma would probably last longer.  Sculptra also would work and after three treatments last similar to Voluma.  Each provider will have a preference based on their experience with the filler.  As to which sites exactly should be injected, that varies depending on your jaw shape, so a photo would be helpful.  I agree with the fanning technique.  I prefer trying fillers before surgery because of higher risk of complications and permanence of surgery.

Karen Stolman, MD
Sandy Dermatologic Surgeon

Angle augmentation

The filler has to be 'feathered' from the jawline to the area above and along the jawline for a natural look. It does take quite a bit of filler to do it so you may want to go over the '5-10 ' year cost of using filler versus the angle implants. 
Most fillers work, Voluma is very good in that area and can last 12+ months. Radiesse is fine but no better. 
Fat is poor since it is unpredictable in its dissolution and maintenance

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon