What is the Best Topical Facial Filler?

I am looking for a topical product such as Hyaluronic Acid to give my sagging, deflated skin a more fuller appearance. What is the best topical product on the market?

I am interested in a product that has a molecular structure small enough to penetrate the skin and provide results instead of just sitting on top of the skin.

Doctor Answers 5

Topical fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

We all hope for the day that topical products can plump and rehydrate the skin to sufficiently revolumize it..but that day has not yet come.  The only way to effective get hyaluronic acid into the skin for plumpness and volume is with injections and injectable fillers (Perlane, Juvederm, Restylane...)


No topical volume replacement

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Currently there is no topical product that is a substitute for injectable facial fillers. If your cheeks are sagging you likely need injectable volume replacement and/ or a tightening procedure.

Dina D. Strachan, MD
New York Dermatologist

No topical on the market will provide results you desire.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Topicals simply don't penetrate the skin deep enough to stimulate the collagen that would be necessary to "plump" the skin. You will need to look to other treatments for real results. Juvederm, Restylane and other Hyaluronic Acid (HA) fillers would be the least downtime and expense for you. Fat transfer is another option.

If you would like to make additional improvement to your skin, such as tightening, pore reduction, discoloration improvement, you might look into fractional laser resurfacing.

Peter Schmid, DO, FAACS
Longmont Facial Plastic Surgeon

Topical filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is no topical cream that will act as a filler. Presently the only way to deliver fillers to the skin is by injecting the filler. In case of a deflated face Fat injections are the best fillers.

Topical technology will come in the future in the form of NANO TECHNOLOGY OR CARBON NANO SPHERES.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Other Than Toilet Paper, What is the Best Topical Facial Filler?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Lilac,

There's an old joke there about a wife who tells her husband that she wants fuller breasts, he tells her to rub toilet tissue on her breasts because apparently it was successful on her tush. Maybe he's now her ex-husband. I won't tell you to use toilet tissue on your face, but I would not expect incredible results from topical facial fillers.

I actually had a treatment today with Intracueticals. It involves topical hyaluronic acid with focused hyperbaric oxygen application to "drive" the product into the skin. The immediate effect was some fullness and improvement in the nasolabial folds. The company recommends 4 to 5 once a week treatments followed by once a month maintenance treatments. It costs $150-$175 depending on the combination of "potions" that are sprayed onto the skin.

Skin Medica and Visible Youth (Enhance Skin Products Inc., Toronto, Ont.) both have products that claim to have molecules that allow hyaluronic acid to enter the skin. I am sure that there are other products as well. These topical products won't come close to the correction obtained by using actual fillers.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.