Does Tight Dressing Help to Bring Breast Closer Together?

8 days postop.My doc put a band really tight around my breast. I'd had a lot of pain, swelling, pressure and fever.I couldn't move fast and I was feeling terrible until I removed the band for my next doc's appointment.I've been without it 1 day (only wearing surgical bra) and I can move faster and almost without pain.My doc says that I must wear the band for 1 month because it will help me to have less gap between them.Does it really help to achieve less gap between my breast in the long term?Thx

Pain from band is common

First, I don't want to come across as contradicting your surgeon or his plan; I will simply give you my thoughts about how I manage my own patients with regard to this issue.  I will commonly place a band on my breast augmentation patients in whom I have lowered the inframammary fold or who have constriction at the bottom of the breasts.  The rationale here is to provide some mild continuous stretching force to the tissues on the BOTTOM of the breast over time to help them to settle better.  I do not really use the band to push the breasts together.  The band is actually worn over the top of the breasts so the pressure is directed downward.  It is also not worn very tightly at all, just snug.  In fact, when it is too tight, this is a very common source of pain in my patients, and I tell them to loosen it or take it off for awhile for comfort, just as you have discovered.  I have them only wear the band for a week, unless at the one week follow up there is still significant tightness in the bottom breast tissues, usually with tuberous or constricted breasts.  In my opinion if there is a gap between the breasts it exists either because of your anatomy or because of the pocket being made too wide laterally, and a band will not correct either of these.  I hope that helps.

If your breasts are naturally widely separated, they will remain that way with implants. It is the insertion of the pectoralis muscles into the breast bone that keeps the implants from being closer. I don't see that any amount of pressure from a band will change that. All the best. 

Tight band after reast Augmentation serves an important purpose

Thank you for your question. Please consult your surgeon. I am sure there is a good reason for the tight band. Removing the bans may compromise your result. Bands are used to improve implant position. Please see your doctor and until then try to follow his/her advice.

Tight Band around Breast

The dressings we (plastic surgeons) put around the breasts are for a reason.  Usually it is to either keep swelling to a minimum or to apply pressure in a certain area. There is less resistance for the implants to migrate laterally until scar tissue has formed to help resist movement in that direction.  Also defining the inframammary fold or crease is important early on.  So will it help define cleavage, it may help force the skin to stretch toward the midline and help so that the scar tissue that forms is more medial or closer to the midline.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Band for breast positioning

In most cases I do not use a band. I do not think that most patients need it. Still, some surgeons feel it is necessary. Best to follow your surgeon's instructions.

Tight Dressings after Breast Augmentation for Less Gap Between Breasts?

Whether or not online consultants agree with your plastic surgeon's management, I would strongly suggest that you follow those instructions. Remember, that you chose your plastic surgeon for a reason;  best to be compliant with postoperative instructions.  Whether or not these dressings will help achieve “less gap" between the breasts in the long-term is debatable.

Post operative compression dressings

Post operative wraps or bandeau bras can help with optimizing breast implant position.  I would follow your surgeon's recommendations.  Good luck.

Compressive dressings have little effect on the resting point of the breast implant.

During a breast augmentation the surgeon creates pockets to house the breast implants. It is the dimensions of that pocket that determine or the implant will reside. In my opinion, various pressure appliances have little effect on the final outcome.