Sutures and Compression Garment After Tickle Lipo?

Do you have sutures that ooze and do you have to wear a compression wrap after this type of lipo (like you would with SmartLipo).

Compression Garment Often Placed in Surgical Suite

Compression garments type and when applied varies from plastic surgeon to plastic surgeon and not dependent usually on the type of lipo performed. In my practice, A compression garment placed in surgery immediately after liposuction (steristrip protects the sutures)  is recommended and beneficial after liposuction because:
  1. It restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure.
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising.
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking.
If bands are present then you need to change garments - see your plastic surgeon.
It is common to have weight gain due to edema, serum that collects in the area, and the tumescent fluid that was injected. This will resolve over time. The more you wear the garment initially, the quicker this fluid resolves.
Edema: a condition characterized by an excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body.
The length of time that the garment should be worn varies depending on the amount of fat removed, the elastic nature of your skin, how much loose skin remains, and other factors. Your surgeon would give you the best advice, however this is the general routine for my patients.
The first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized, and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in so I can confirm that it fits well.
Most important advice is to listen to your surgeon, as he or she knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin, and amount of skin redundancy.
I recommend that my patients wear their garments for a minimum of three weeks full time then for twelve hours at a time (day or night). If there is not a lot of redundant skin, this continues to a maximum of six weeks.
To be effective, the garment needs to fit snugly—but not too tight as that can make it difficult to sleep or cause pressure problems (inspect your skin when it is exposed if you are uncomfortable). As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits. A Spanx-type garment would work fine, rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor’s office. For Small or moderate amounts of liposuction it probably doesn't make a difference if a garment is used or not.

Compression garment after liposuction

In most cases, some sort of compression garment or wrap is worn for at least 1-2 weeks after any type of liposuction. The use of sutures depends on location, size of incision and surgeon preference.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Liposuction post-op care

Like standard tumescent liposuction, and Laser-assisted liposuction, Tickle liposuction requires small incision sites around the treatment area to insert the tumescent solution, and the cannulas to remove the unwanted fatty deposits. Sometimes the sites are sutured but often they are left open to assist with fluid drainage. For almost all patients, compression garments are worn for approximately 4 to 6 weeks after the procedure.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Post op Tickle Lipo

Regardless of the method of liposuction, I recommend compression garments for 4-6 weeks.   In addition, it is common to have drainage from the incision for 48 hours.   I wish you a safe and happy result.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Liposuction and sutures

regardless of liposuction, whether smartlipo, conventional tumescent, jet, powered, or other names, some physicians suture their insertion sites and others leave them open to drain and heal. There is no one correct way of doing this.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Regarding: "Sutures and Compression Garment After Tickle Lipo?
Do you have sutures that ooze and do you have to wear a compression wrap after this type of lipo (like you would with SmartLipo
)."

Liposuction is liposuction. The procedure involves placing a swelling (tumescent ) solution in the fat to increase the target area and stiffness of the fat while driving out a lot of the blood thereby limiting blood losses with the Liposuction. Tickle lipo uses saline to actually chisel and dislodge fat which is then suction. Laser lipo uses a hot fiber to heat and cook the fat - the resulting fatty emulsion is then vacuumed with suction. VASER lipo selection uses ultrasound waves to shake a dislodge the fat making it easier to vacuum away with liposuction.

ALL these forms of liposuction produce inflammation and swelling. If openings are left open the fluid will come out quicker and the swelling will be shorter in duration. Compression garments reduce swelling and hasten healing. They are therefore used with all forms of liposuction.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Tickle Lipo aftercare

Post-operative care is nearly identical. Sutures are commonly but not always utilized. Wounds will ooze for typically up to 18 hours. Compression garments are freqeuntly employed. gf

Liposuction and garments

Each surgeon has a different post-op regimen and you shouyld follow your doctor's instructions.  I recommend a garment to my patients.