Why Does Thread Lift Last Only for a Short Time?

What are the reasons for the thread lift technique in facelifts apparently having poor longevity? Do the threads stretch, or is the amount of skin lifted too heavy? Thanks.

No Good Answer But Experience

I do not think anyone has even postulated why the thread lift procedure has such poor long term results. It is likely because the procedure only pulls skin and the skin simply relaxes in a short time. While there may be no explanation as to why, there is an increasing body of evidence which demonstrates the lack of longevity for results of the procedure.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

PDO Thread Lift- Mini Face Lift

PDO thread lift is natural painless non invasive lunchtime procedure. It has very minimal to zero bruising and swelling and looks great by itself or combined with dermal fillers. PDO threads have amazing controlled healing and and last up to two years! PDO threads help restore your beautiful healthy v-shape face where it has been lost with age. You can use thread lift almost anywhere on your body but you see your best results on the neck and lower jawline. That lower third of the face is very hard to treat with botox injection or filler. Their is many amazing techniques! I hope this helps you on your journey!:)

Chaitali Nangrani, MD
The Woodlands Family Physician

Threadlift lasing only a short time

The threads only address more superficial elements of the soft tissue offering good results for a shorter term. This the the trade off for having a cosmetic procedure offering minimal down time, no anesthesia (which is a large risk in and of itself) and can be done during a "long" lunch hour. 

Andre Berger, MD

Andre Berger, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

What sometimes begins to happen is that the skin loosens and pulls through the threads with time.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Thread lifts do not maintain their result

From my experience, it appears that the barbs are not sturdy enough to maintain the result and hold the skin in place.  it appears that the skin loosens. rarely the knots can fail. However this is generally rare.