Is there a limit to how much artificial tears (preservative free) you can use in a day after Lasik?

Hi, I just underwent Lasik 10 days ago. My opthamologist told me I can use as much artificial tears as I want. I read some articles say it's OK and others say your eyes won't produce tears on its own with too much use. Currently, I'm using the Refresh lubricant eye drops every 1.5-2 hours everyday, and at night apply the Refresh Celluvisc gel eye drops. So am just wondering if there's a downfall in overusing the artificial tears. If so, when I should start reducing the amount I apply.

Too Many Artificial Tears after LASIK

As long as they are preservative-free, you cannot overuse artificial tears after LASIK.  I tell my patients to put them in at least 4 times per day and any other time their eyes feel uncomfortable or blurry. I also tell them that they can't overuse them but they can run into problems not using them enough.

Nashville Ophthalmologist

Artificial Tears After LASIK

You cannot overuse artificial tears. It is like putting moisturizer on the skin. The more the better after surgery. If you find the drops are bothering you, you may be sensitive to the preservatives and can switch to preservative free drops.

Michael K. Tracy, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist

Too much or too little artificial tears

It is possible to overuse artificial tears in relation to the eyelids, which can potentially become red or swollen with overuse of the drops. This is rare though. It is not unusual for a surgeon to tell patients that they don't need to worry about using it too often.

The eye itself will not be bothered by excessive drops even if the eyelids were to react in this way. Eye doctors are generally more worried about dryness on the cornea than about too much exposure to the artificial tears on the eyelids.

Most LASIK patients start reducing the amount of artificial tears as they feel less dryness although they are typically instructed to continue on a set regimen for up to 3 months following the surgery.

Jay Bansal, MD
San Francisco Ophthalmologist