Is There Any Hope for Removing a Badly Indented Scar?

The scar is about 7 inches long and 1/3 of an inch above my bellybutton. It's about 11 years old, slightly raised, and similar to the color of my own skin, maybe slightly lighter. The scar isn't that bad, the real problem is that I've had it since I was quite young and it hasn't stretched with the rest of the skin on my abdomen. My stomach above the scar comes out about half an inch, and a full inch or more below. Could surgery fix this? I'm not overweight and I don't think toning up would help.

Doctor Answers 4

Abdominal and belly button scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Belly button scars and abdominal scars do well with scar revision surgery and layered closure of the remaining tissue.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Scar revision...perhaps

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}



We need to see and also preferably feel the scar to determine whether or nor scar revision might be helpful.


Best Regards,


John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Scar Revision of Abdomen?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

I can visualize the contour deformity of the abdomen that the scar is creating. Often, the contour of the abdomen can be improved by excising the scar and rearranging the tissues around the scar ( sometimes liposuction is helpful).

In person consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons will be helpful.

Best wishes.

You might also like...

Correcting an Ugly Scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A photograph would have been very helpful. In general, an ugly scar can never be erased BUT we often can operate on it and revise it often producing a much less conspicuous and pleasing scar. You need to consult a good Plastic surgeon.

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.