Is There Harm with Taking an Antibiotic Before Surgery?

My surgery is schedule for 12/28. I have come down with possible sinus infection and started taking and antibiotic on 12/18. I will be taking it for 8 days. I am having a BR and a TT. I know I must get my sinus cleared up first. I'm just wondering could there be a problem going into surgery with this amoxicillin in my system when I know they will have me on another antibiotic during Surgery. Thank you in advance for your response.

Antibiotics prior to surgery

This is usually not a problem.  However, it is always best to let your surgeon know of any changes to your health before having surgery.  Best of luck!

Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotics prior to surgery

Antibiotics should be ok, but I would make sure your sinus infection is cleared. Good luck with your surgery.

Antibiotic for sinus infection before surgery

If indeed you have a bacterial infection, it is important to get this cleared up prior to your operation. That said, there is no additional risk to having the amoxicillin still in your system at the time of operation - as long as the infection itself has resolved.

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

Are antibiotics harmful before plastic surgery?

Antibiotics are not usually harmful when taken before plastic surgery on the advice of your physician.  Presumably the antibiotic would be used to treat a medical problem that would otherwise become worse.  All medications have the possibility of side effects and cost.  Antibiotic overuse also contributes to the growth of more resistant bacteria.  The antibiotics should be used before surgery only if the patient has a legitimate need, such as a sinus infection, that would be improved with the treatment.

David Stoker, MD

Antibiotic Prior To surgery

Antibiotics prior to a surgery should not be an issue depending on what your board certified surgeon recommends. The infection in question is possibly a problem, so I'd recommend speaking to the office about any health concerns directly. Best of luck and healthy recovery!

David Rosenstein, MD
Boynton Beach Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotic before surgery

Let your surgeon know what is going on as soon as possible.
Taking antibiotics before your surgery is not a problem. Your concern should be to take care of your infection and make sure that it has cleared up before surgery.
Best of luck to you!

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Taking Antibiotics Before Surgery

Taking antiobiotics before surgery is fine. You need to tell your surgeon about this and your sinus infection. If your sinus infection is not cleared up before surgery this may delay it.

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

Sinus infection

I am more worried about the infection then the antibiotics. Check with your surgeon. Your safety is first. He/she may not want you with breathing apparatus in your throat with an upper respiratory infection. Best of luck. 

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Sinus infection and MM

In terms of infections and elective plastic surgeries I take a very individualized approach.  If the infection is cleared, finish off the antibiotic and move forward.  If there are any signs of toxicity such as chills, fevers, persistent redness, myalgias, arthralgias... you're just not going to be very happy after surgery.  It doesn't make any sense to continue.  Rescheduling in that scenario is best.  Often times, we're just unsure of how you're doing because enough time hasn't passed.  Consider a WBC before moving forward.  Your plastic surgeon really needs to help you figure this one out because typically we don't have enough information for those cases that are tough calls.  I've not encountered a problem with this approach.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Sinus infection before surgery

Having amoxicillin in your system prior to surgery is not problematic - the major issue here is making sure your infection has cleared up before proceeding with elective surgery. You should let your surgeon know ASAP what you're dealing with so that he or she can make sure it is safe to proceed.

Grant Stevens, MD