Is There Harm with Taking an Antibiotic Before Surgery?

My surgery is schedule for 12/28. I have come down with possible sinus infection and started taking and antibiotic on 12/18. I will be taking it for 8 days. I am having a BR and a TT. I know I must get my sinus cleared up first. I'm just wondering could there be a problem going into surgery with this amoxicillin in my system when I know they will have me on another antibiotic during Surgery. Thank you in advance for your response.

Antibiotics prior to surgery

Antibiotics should be ok, but I would make sure your sinus infection is cleared. Good luck with your surgery.

Antibiotic Prior to Surgery Harmful

In general, antibiotics prior to an operation will not negatively impact results.  However, having a sinus infection that has not been fully treated should delay the surgery.  Let your doctor make the call. 

Antibiotics prior to surgery

This is usually not a problem.  However, it is always best to let your surgeon know of any changes to your health before having surgery.  Best of luck!

Antibiotic Prior To surgery

Antibiotics prior to a surgery should not be an issue depending on what your board certified surgeon recommends. The infection in question is possibly a problem, so I'd recommend speaking to the office about any health concerns directly. Best of luck and healthy recovery!

David Rosenstein, MD
Boynton Beach Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotic before surgery

Let your surgeon know what is going on as soon as possible.
Taking antibiotics before your surgery is not a problem. Your concern should be to take care of your infection and make sure that it has cleared up before surgery.
Best of luck to you!

Taking Antibiotics Before Surgery

Taking antiobiotics before surgery is fine. You need to tell your surgeon about this and your sinus infection. If your sinus infection is not cleared up before surgery this may delay it.

Sinus infection

I am more worried about the infection then the antibiotics. Check with your surgeon. Your safety is first. He/she may not want you with breathing apparatus in your throat with an upper respiratory infection. Best of luck. 

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Sinus infection and MM

In terms of infections and elective plastic surgeries I take a very individualized approach.  If the infection is cleared, finish off the antibiotic and move forward.  If there are any signs of toxicity such as chills, fevers, persistent redness, myalgias, arthralgias... you're just not going to be very happy after surgery.  It doesn't make any sense to continue.  Rescheduling in that scenario is best.  Often times, we're just unsure of how you're doing because enough time hasn't passed.  Consider a WBC before moving forward.  Your plastic surgeon really needs to help you figure this one out because typically we don't have enough information for those cases that are tough calls.  I've not encountered a problem with this approach.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Sinus infection before surgery

Having amoxicillin in your system prior to surgery is not problematic - the major issue here is making sure your infection has cleared up before proceeding with elective surgery. You should let your surgeon know ASAP what you're dealing with so that he or she can make sure it is safe to proceed.

Grant Stevens, MD

Taking antibiotic before Mommy Makeover.

An advantage of elective surgery is that you should be in the best condition for surgery as possible.  Please speak with your Plastic Surgeon candidly as to what is your current condition.  He/She may want to reschedule you when you are closer to 100 percent.  Each case is different, so let him/her know what is going on so you can both plan the best outcome for you.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS