Will the Underarm Look Completely Normal After Miradry Heals?

Underarms will look normal after MiraDry

After you have completely healed from MiraDry, your skin color and texture will be normal.  The main visual change will be a reduction in underarm hair.

Healing from miraDry has several components.  Not all occur with the same frequency, but all resolve with time:

1. swelling - every patient experiences this, and it can take 2 weeks to resolve

2. numbness - not frequent; it results from "stunning" a nerve and can take a few months to resolve

3. darkening of the armpit skin - more common in darker skin types; does resolve with time

4. lumps or cords- part of the wound healing process and can last several weeks.  The cords are likely due to inflamed veins (phlebitis).  The lumps are due to the wound healing process.  

MiraDry

Yes!  Everything does settle down!  I had the procedure done myself about 2 months ago. I did have some lumpy bumpy areas for about a month.  But now you can't tell.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Possibly not- NOTE miraDry can permanent destroy underarm hair

Your skin texture and colour will be normal post miraDry. For the first 1-4 days, depending on the treatment level, there WILL be swelling, and redness. This settles down in all patients. 

The electromagnetic energy delivered via miraDry targets eccrine (sweat glands) as well as apocrine (smell glands). The other structure that lies in the fat area is the hair follicle- hence this treatment may also destroy the hair glands- or pilosebacous units- this can lead to a permanent loss of hair. Can be a bonus in patients seeking hair removal, but for other- take note. 

Cheers

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and cosmetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Miradry in Los Angeles

Our office is the leading provider of Miradry in Los Angeles. Miradry is non invasive and has minimal recovery.  The tissue is not affected longterm. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Underarm hair reduction common with MiraDry procedure for excessive sweating

Great question.  The swelling and 'lumpy' feeling should subside after a few weeks.  Many of our patients do experience significant hair reduction.  Several patients with large amounts of underarm hair have reported a 50-70% reduction after the first visit. 

How Will My Underarm Look after miraDry?

Dear NYCBOY,

After undergoing miraDry, most patients notice an immediate improvement in underarm sweating, along with some swelling, bruising, redness, skin thickening, and numbness of the underarms that usually lasts a few weeks.

The vast majority of patients have completely normal appearing underarms after recovery, possibly with some thinning or loss of underarm hair (which many consider to be an additional benefit). There is a very small risk of developing an infection, rash, or hyperpigmentation, which are treatable.

Hope this helps.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

San Francisco, CA USA

Larry Fan, MD

MiraDry and underarm skin texture after the procedure

The miraDry uses microwave energy that creates thermal 'injury' to the dermis (skin) and as such there may be some induration (lumpiness and thickening) of the skin which is not uniform and which will subside after 6 weeks in most cases. You can also expect some hair loss after this procedure in the underarms.