What Are the Effects of Taking Cocaine After a Breast Augmentation?

Yes I know I will be judged for using the drug in the first place but it is a social thing and i please i just need some advice, I have recently had a breast uplift and implants on the 5th March, so I am week and half PO. I wondered how long to wait till I can use again and smoke again. I stopped taking cocaine 8 weeks prior to the operation and gave up smoking about 3 weeks before. I am now ready to start going out again and am due at a private festival soon.

Complications of Cocaine and Nicotine

As mentioned in earlier posts, they are both potent vasoconstrictors.  Which will reduce the blood supply to your tissues.  The nipple and areola are particularly at risk due to an already reduced blood supply.  Decrease blood flow can lead to infection, poor wound healing and even tissue death.  I would wait a minimal of 6 to 8 weeks. 

Cocaine and BA

Do not proceed with your surgery as you are at marked increased risks of complications from both recent use of cocaine and ongoing nicotine use. You need to have medical clearance at a minimum from the anesthesiologist who needs to know of this history, and need to be off both cocaine and nicotine for months prior to elective surgery. I also strongly recommend that you are candid with your surgeon and never hold back medical details that could affect your health. There is a sacred patient physician relationship restricting him from sharing any of your medical information

Not a good idea

Unfortunately the two vices you mentioned are a really bad idea after surgery. However, to answer your question, I would recommend 3 months PO to start using again because most of the acute healing has occurred and it is just scar maturation from there. There is almost a 100 percent chance you will need a scar revision after that type of procedure anyway (aug-pexy

Joshua B. Hyman, MD

Nicotine and cocaine after surgery

Obviously, cocaine and nicotine are no good. They both constrict blood vessels, and cocaine can cause cardiac arrhythmias.  Not a good idea.

What Are the Effects of Taking Cocaine After a Breast Augmentation

Both nicotine and cocaine are rather effective vasoconstrictors--decreasers of blood flow. It is the lift part of your procedure that puts you at risk.

All the lift operations (face lift, tummy tuck, breast lift) cause a marked decrease in blood flow to the healing skin. Adding further loss of blood flow from cigarettes or cocaine can and do result in skin loss (skin death) and prolonged problems with wound healing. I have seen this happen from a single cigarette over a month after surgery. 

I would hold off at least two to three months. The consequences are predictable and can be disastrous.All the best. 

Too soon

You already know that these drugs have health implications but the biggest concerns during the healing process would be increasing your blood pressure (and thus the possibility of bleeding) and decreasing blood flow in the skin and tissues which could show healing.  Cocaine is actually used by some surgeons in rhinoplasty to decrease blood flow during the surgery and is very potent.  I would tell you that you need to be out of the initial healing period at the very least to be back to your baseline health risks with use.  10 days is too early.  While i do not have a scientific answer, at 6 weeks you are likely back to your usual non-surgically related risks.  Try to wait.....

Cocaine and smoking after breast augmentation

Both cocaine and nicotine decrease blood flow to the skin, which can impair healing and scarring. Also, since they both increase your heart rate and blood pressure, either could put you at risk for bleeding this soon after surgery. It's best to wait at least 6 weeks, but try to make it 3 weeks if you can.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon