What is the Cost for Keloid Removal on the Earlobe? (photo)

When I was young, I wore big hoop earrings that were to heavy and ended up splitting my earlobe. I went and got another piercing in the same split earlobe which did okay but I ended up splitting that hole as well I guess from sleeping in my earrings and snagging on my clothes. 8 years later I developed a keloid. I was told during a consult w/plastic surgeon that pregnancy hormones could've triggered the growth. I want to get it removed but I need to know how much to set aside for the surgery.

Cost for keloid removal from ear

Keloids and hypertrophic scars are common problems with piercings and gauged plugs. They can be excised, treated with lasers, injections of kenalog and 5fu. Pressure clips are sometimes useful during the healing process. Unfortunately, there is some tendency for recurrence.

How much does this cost?
Earlobe reduction usually cost between $500 and $1500 dollars depending upon the complexity of the correction, the surgeons experience, and city in which the surgery is being performed. Most offices can arrange for payment plans. Banks, credit cards, Care Credit, Proper are just a few of the companies that offer plans. Many are no interest for 12-18 months.
Geographic costs can be found on Real Self or the websites for the American Society of plastic surgeons for the American Society of aesthetic plastic surgery

Cost of earlobe keloid surgery

This is a very significant keloid with a high likelihood of recurrence but, because of the aesthetics, I can understand why you'd want to have surgery.  Understand that it is absolutely essential for you to followup with compression earrings diligently and that you may need steroid injections as well.  Radiotherapists are no longer following surgery with a series of x-ray treatments based on the recommendation of their board.  I would estimate that removal of this keloid would be $1000 but fees will vary based on geographic location and the individual surgeon.  Best wishes.

Earlobe keloid treatment

Earlobe keloids can be surgically excised to remove the keloid.  In most cases, there remains a chance for recurrence of the keloids, which requires longterm follow up. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

I have treated thousands of these in my career with excellent results. This keloid needs to be excised and the ear needs to be reconstructed. You will also need adjuvant treatment

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Ear keloids

Ear keloids have a very high incidence of recurrence. There are many different ways that are attempted to treat this problem with very high recurrence rates.  Good luck.

Keloid earlobe

Thank you for the question and the photo. Removal of the keloid include combination therapy; Surgery, steroid and possibly radiation therapy. Even with all that recurrence can happen. The recurrence rate is lowest with surgery and radiation therapy. The cost of surgery depends on your location. you need to see a board certified plastic surgeon to address your concern and get an estimate for the procedure. Best wishes.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Ear Keloid Excision?

Thank you for the question and picture.
You have a keloid of the earlobe present. Excision of the keloid does carry the risk of recurrence. There are a variety of modalities of treatment after excision that may be helpful in preventing recurrence of the keloid. These modalities may include pressure, use of injected steroids, and/or radiation therapy.
I would suggest in-person consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons in your area.

Cost of the procedure(s) will depend on exactly what course of treatment is decided upon.

Earlobe Keloid Removal

The earlobe keloid can be addressed.  However, removal itself will not always fix the problem as the keloid can recur.  You will likely need a combination of removal and postoperative steroid injections.  I would advise you to consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD