What tests do you have to have done before getting a breast augmentation?

I heard you need a blood test and a pregnancy test? is that all, and what all are they checking for when they test your blood, iron levels? do you have to go elsewhere for these tests or do they do it at the plastic surgery place? and also how far in advance of your surgery do you get this done?

Mammogram or other tests before breast augmentation?

Dear catherine,Thank you for your post. In general, I follow the patient's gynecologists guidelines for mammograms which is commonly to start at age 40. While getting a mammogram earlier is not a requirement for surgery, it is not harmful either. 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer so it is a valuable but not perfect screening tool. I would talk it over with your surgeon and find what you both agree with. Otherwise, in a young healthy female, no other blood test are required other than a pregnancy test.  Some surgeons will ask for a general panel as well, but do not really need it.  Mammograms are paid for by most insurances and is irrelevant if you are having an augmentation.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

You'll find that every practice has a different routine when it comes to pre-operative lab and medical workup. This includes blood tests that are ordered.  For most young, healthy patients minimal to no blood work is necessary. For example, often a hemoglobin check and a pregnancy test may be all that is indicated for a young healthy patient undergoing breast surgery.

In our practice, during the preoperative visit ( typically done several weeks prior to surgery)  patients are given a list of do's and don'ts that will help them get through the surgery and recovery safely.   We review their medical history and obtain any necessary preoperative workup necessary. This may include EKG and/or laboratory values depending on the patient's specific situation (factors such as patient age and medical history are important).

It will be best to speak with your surgeon and see what the office policy is for that specific office.

Tests before breast augmentation

Different surgery clinics and surgeons may have diferent requirements.It is important for you to find out what your surgeon may require. The most ordered test are usual a pregnancy test, a test for iron such as hemoglobin , and a mammogram if you are 35-'40 years old .Again this may vary according to your surgeon.

Joanne Lopes, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Blood work before surgery

Every surgeon is a bit different in what he requires and also what the overal medical condition is of the patient may determine the tests requested as well.

Ontario regulations for preop bloodwork

The regulations in Ontario state that unless you have a pre-existing medical condition or your doctor has a particular concern that needs investigation, you don't need any specific bloodwork.  You want to make sure that you are not pregnant at the time of the surgery, so we get a pregnancy test for our patients, but aside from that the standard blood work up is ordered in our clinic only if there is a medical indication.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Blood test

I test all my patients for there blood level, their clotting level, and a pregnancy test. These are standard for anyone having an operation. In Ontario I give patients a requisition and they can go anywhere they would like. I ask for the blood work to be done within 30 days of surgery!

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Preop screening tests differ according to the ordering physician

Great question.  Prior to any surgery, we review the patient's history and physical exam, identifying risk factors, which will make any subsequent ops more difficult.  If there is a family history of breast cancer and/or the patient is close to 40 years, we generally recommend getting a mammogram, preop, with the idea that an entire  year will pass before the patient has her first post aug mammo.  If she is >55 years and/or has any personal history of cardiac conditions, we require EKG and cardiac clearance.  We have negotiated a "cash" price at a local lab which includes the tests we feel are most important; they include: CBC complete blood count, BMP basic metabolic panel, HIV, Heptatitis panel, HCG (serum pregnancy) and nasal culture.  Many individuals are colonized with bacteria, so we take a surveillance culture, in order to determine which antibiotics are most appropriate both a the time of surgery and afterwards.  The labs are generally ordered at the preop visit, which is 2 weeks before the op.  I don't screen for blood type, iron levels or clotting studies. Hope this helps.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD