How Do I Bring Up That I Want a Breast Reduction?

Hi, I am 16 and when i was going through my 8th grade transition to a freshman i grew 4 cup sizes then i grew 1 more size now i am 32DDD and i have horrble pain. my dad is imbarised of me when with his friends and does not understand how hard it is to find a bra that fits mother left when i was young. so my dad is a single dad so how do i bring it up that i want reduction? and that i might be able to get it free? please reply Sincerly the very ugly duckling

Doctor Answers 11

Breast reduction can be done in teenagers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You certainly sound like a breast reduction might really help you, even though you are only 16. I have written alot about breast reduction in teenagers, and while we think about the surgery differently for young people than for mature women, teenagers such as yourself feel much more comfortable about themselves after breast reduction. I don't blame you for feeling uncomfortable about talking to your dad, I never could have discussed my body with my father when I was 16 and he was a doctor. You should be able to talk to your own doctor or pediatrician about your concerns and your doctor can than approach the problem with your dad for you. This is actually the most appropriate way to go, and your pediatrician should be very happy to do this. As an alternative, if you have some adult women in your life who you talk to about personal things you can't talk to your dad about, on of them may be able to discuss breast reduction with him for you. Although I never could have brought up this subject with my dad, once someone else I trusted did, I am sure he would have been supportive of me.

Discussing breast reduction with a single dad

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your question I must assume you don't  have a peditrician or other Dr. who is aware of your situation because they should have discussed this with your dad. If you did they would be obligated to speak with him as they would if you had any other SERIOUS health problem.

This is a SERIOUS health problem with significant physical and mental ramifications at this most important  transitional phase of your life. Press ahead with it , and if your dad wants to I'd be happy to speak with him at 718 430 0942.

Once you're on the" road" get the name(s) of a board certified Plastic Surgeon from the American Soc. of Plastic Surgery.

Barry H. Dolich, MD (Retired)
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Large breasts in teenagers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As a single father of a daughter, I understand your concern. On the one hand, there is the sexuality attached to a woman's breast and how that influences her relating to other people. On the other hand, you mention functional and physical problems that your large breasts create. Most fathers want to do what is best for their children and want their children's lives to be unstressed and happy. I would mention the pain aspect and suggest to your father that your breasts may be the source of your discomfort. That will open the door for more discussion about how you feel about your breasts.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

How do I bring up that I want a breast reduction?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question!  You suffer from juvenile hypertrophy of the breasts, which is typically treated by breast reduction.  It is not uncommon to have the symptoms that you describe such as neck/back/shoulder pain as well as infections/rashes and shoulder grooving, especially in teenagers once her breasts begin to fully develop.  

Once one begins to have the symptoms that you state above, consideration for a surgical procedure to ameliorate your symptoms, assist with self esteem, and allow you to get back to physical activities in your youth should be done.  Given your symptoms,  you would be an ideal candidate.  You must first discuss with your parents and pediatrician, and then consulting with a plastic surgeon for evaluation and examination to assist you in deciding if this would be the right thing for you.  Your parents have your best interest at heart and having a heartfelt discussion of your issues and problems with them will likely help.  Your surgeon will also go over what to expect as well as the risks and benefits of the procedure.  Overall, your symptoms should be ameliorated almost immediately and hopefully give you more self confidence and an increased activity level.  Your breasts may still continue to grow over the next several years, but it is certainly reasonable to consider this at this age with the issues that you are having.  I hope that this helps!  Good luck with your decision!

Juvenile Breast Reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.
You should sit down and calmly discuss your problems with your father and show him that you have done your homework and understand the potential risks and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You should also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
I would suggest an in-person consultation with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Best wishes.

Breast reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a conversation you should have with your parent.  Obviously until you are 18 or older you can not have this done without  your parent's permission.

Informing Dad about Breast Reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most men do not understand why large breast may be a disadvantage. When this ignorance is combined to the sadness every father experiences when his little girl becomes a woman (breasts, periods, boyfriends calling) and many fathers stir clear of discussing any items involving sexuality, it is much harder to communicate.

The tactics used would depend on your rapport with your dad, his personality and educational level. If he has any influential women close to him, I would recruit them to help you introduce the topic. I would similarly try the direct approach of telling him how the breast stop you from being athletic, working out, engaging in certain activities and just how painful they are. The American Society of Plastic surgeons has a position paper on this topic which you can print to show him and your physician.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A. Aldea

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

I want a breast reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Try to have an intermediary discuss this with your parents, like a pastor, school teacher, a relative like a grandparent. Or maybe your Peds doctor or Gyn doctor can help in these difficult time. Best of Luck from MIAMI Dr. B

Breast reduction and justifying medical necessity

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I really think you should tell him that you have a medical problem for which you need to see a doctor. Schedule a consultation with your physician, pediatrician, and or gynecologist first and discuss it with them.  Review your medical symptoms such as neck, back and shoulder discomfort, limited physical activity, rashes in breast crease, etc. Also I would agree with searching for medical articles to show your dad after the physician's examination and recommendation.

Breast Reduction in Teens

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Even though this is a delicate subject, you should discuss it with your dad.  Tell him that you would like to see your family doctor or pediatrician.  If you have accompanying symptoms, this may well be a procedure which is covered by your insurance company.

John Whitt, MD (retired)
Louisville Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.