Strattice for Breast Augmentation Revision to Prevent Movement into Armpits

I have 10yr saline, under muscle(325ccs)implants. 5'1, 99lbs, AA before surgery. Shortly after surgery they began to move into my armpits and its gotten worse over the yrs. New PS says go with smaller silicone implants and use strattice.

Do you all agree? It's quite expensive and I dont want any regrets. How long is drain necessary with strattice? Also, I want a little smaller, but not too much. Is it safe to go close to the original size? 

Strattice Can be Helpful for Breast Surgery Revision

Strattice can be helpful in breast revision surgery:

1. The Strattice can help by creating an internal support to prevent a recurrence of the displacement of your implants toward the armpits.
  2. It can also be helpful in minimizing wrinkles from an implant in slender women.
  3. There is some evidence that Strattice may lower the incidence or recurrence of capsule contracture.

It is a significant added expense in revision surgery, but may be well worthwhile if it prevents a recurrence of the problem.

The decision is not formulaic; without individual examination, it not really possible to recommend individually.

And be prepared: experts may disagree!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Strattice in breast implant revision

Strattice is an 'allograft' actually pig skin and the role in breast augmentation revision is controversial. Don't expect surgeons to be on the same page on this one. Our feeling is that the role, possible in reduction of capsular contracture is not defined. It has been marketed to hold implants in position and prevent 'bottoming out' though again has several drawbacks, and for most may be unnecessary. Get additional opinions. My vote would be to focus and revising the shape or location of the pocket alone.

Breast Augmentation Revision -- Consult is Critical

Strattice for Breast Augmentation Revision -- to use or not to use -- is that the question?

Other surgeons here have given varying opinions about using a material such as Strattice. The reality is that there is not a single answer. While purported benefits of using Strattice include situations such as yours (thin tissues and need for additional reinforcement of the implant pocket), it really comes down to an assessment of your own tissues to determine what we are working with.

Your surgeon has made a recommendation to use Strattice and to downsize your implants. This sounds reasonable. And without being able to examine you, I wouldn't be able to make a different recommendation.

While your are quite thin, I have had other thin patients that have had great success with revising an implant pocket without the use of Strattice, particularly when using a silicone implant. I also feel that using silicone gel implants and downsizing both weigh a bit against using Strattice.

Hope this helps,

Nick Slenkovich, MD FACS

Strattice and Breast Augmentation revision

In my practice we have used Strattice to help with capsular contracture, thin skin issues and implant displacement.  It is expensive but if you consider it over the long haul, and the fact that it corrects the problem ... it is worth it.   There are no other options at this point for these issues. 

Pictures would help in your case to determine the most appropriate treatment for you.

A good board certified plastic surgeon will be able to assist you in your treatment.

Good luck to you.

Dr. Kimberly Henry

San Francisco ,CA

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Strattice can be helpful for breast augmentation revisions

It is very difficult to comment on your case without at least seeing photos. Strattice is very helpful for many types of breast implant revisions and at this point i wont do certain cases without it (recurrent capsular contracture or fold displacements). Get a few consults from experienced revision surgeons. Disclosure - i am a speaker for lifecell - company that makes strattice.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Strattice and breast reconstruction

While material like Strattice is in vogue, it is definitely not always necessary, not helpful. All procedures, surgical manuveurs, and products must be used judiciously, not indiscriminately or by rote.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M. D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Strattice helps breast implant revision if tissue reinforcement is needed

Without personally examining you and discussing your goals, no one can give you definitive advice. It sounds like you are thin and the implants are large for your size, which can lead to stretching and thinning of the tissues around the implant and loss of support. If this is the case then the tissues would need to be reinforced and Strattice is a very good way to do that. On the other hand, if an revision is attempted and it fails, that can lead to even more thinning and a worse problem, not to mention spending more money in the long run than the cost of Strattice.

Richard Baxter, MD

Strattice for Breast Augmentation Revision

Very difficult to advise without an in person evaluation. Yes it is $2,000 more expensive and there are no guarantees. I use drains for 4 days to a week on average. Size is between you and your chosen surgeon.  

I am sorry about the complication you have experienced.

Most patients who undergo this type of revisionary breast surgery benefit from capsulorraphy (internal suture repair). This procedure serves to reconstruct the lower poles of the breasts and prevent migration of the breast implants too far inferiorly. Associated issues with positioning of nipple/areola complexes should improve with this operation. In my practice, I use a 2 layered suture repair, supporting the involved area. I do not find the use of acellular dermal matrix or mesh necessary for the majority of patients who present with breast implant displacement problems. Factors such as recurrence of breast implant displacement/malposition and the presence of poor quality skin/tissue support come into play when making a decision to recommend/utilize additional support materials.

Generally speaking, the use of acellular dermal matrix or bio synthetic mesh for patients in your situation may be helpful occasionally. This material may be helpful as a supportive matrix and help with the breast implant displacement/malposition you are experiencing. Again, I usually recommend their use depending on the patient's anatomy ( for example quality/elasticity of the involved skin) and past surgical history.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to revisionary breast surgery (demonstrating many cases of corrective surgery for patients with "bottoming out" of breast implants) helpful to you as you learn more. You will find a separate page, on the same website, dedicated to lateral displacement situations specifically.

Strattice for Breast augmentation revision to prevent movement into armpits?

Hello! Thank you for your question!  Given your history and symmetry and shape issues, consideration for either an acellular dermal matrix or mesh-type substitute is reasonable.  A capsulorrhaphy would be needed for revision of your breast pocket. If you do need such, the use of a dermal matrix or mesh may be considered if your tissue now has significant laxity that is failing in support or a significant deformity in which recreation of the breast pocket is required along with adding additional support and coverage of the implant.  Certainly, the larger the implant, the heavier the weight...thus, it may be useful to consider placement of a matrix or mesh. Otherwise, capsulorrhaphy for pocket revision using your native tissue should suffice.  It has been used safely and effectively to correct synmastia, restore the inframammary fold, mask implant issues (e.g., rippling, wrinkling, etc.), and improve aesthetic results in revisionary breast implant and reconstructive procedures.  However, only by physical examination would one be able to make recommendations on the benefits over the risk of using a matrix or mesh in your situation. 

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast procedures and the use of dermal matrices and mesh in breast procedures who will assist you in determining which procedure(s) would be the best for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD