Im 20 Yrs Old and I Want Breast Augmentation?

im 20 yrs old and i am an A i have been thinking about getting boobs since it does look like it will ever happen naturally. i want to go up to a size C but i dont know if it will look silly on me because im a very small girl about 110 pounds also should i go with silicon or saline?

Candidate for a breast augmentation

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a breast augmentation.

Any women desiring breast augmentation surgery is a candidate as long as there are no health problems present which would preclude her from having surgery. If the desired goal is to enhance or restore size and shape or to improve asymmetry, breast augmentation is a viable option. Breast augmentation can improve a body image, self-esteem, self-concept, and quality of life.
Ideal Candidates for Breast Augmentation
  • Desire larger, shapelier breasts.
  • Moderate degree of breast sag and smaller breasts, whose problem can be solved by enlargement.
  • One breast that is noticeably smaller or is positioned differently than the other (asymmetry).
  • Uneven chest wall or rib cage.
  • Women requiring breast reconstruction following a mastectomy.
  • Restore breast volume or shape following pregnancy, breast feeding and/or weight loss.

South Carolina Girl

Great question and happy to discuss further with you. 

A detailed consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is important to establish your postoperative goals and determine what implant size and type would be best for you. In my practice I like to review different photos of my patients to establish what shape and volume they seem to like most. It is also very important to perform a detailed exam to evaluate the thickness of your breast tissue, skin tone and the dimensions of your chest. I like to have my patients try on sizers to get a feel for what they may look like and also appreciate how heavy the implants might feel. It is also useful to incorporate some additional 3-D imaging to get a sense for the subtle change between different implant types.

The advice I give to my patients focuses on 3 key elements.

1. Select a board certified plastic surgeon that you can communicate with comfortably to establish your desired look.

2. Establish that your plastic surgeon has your best interest in mind and make sure that they can explain your procedure to you in a way that makes sense and makes you comfortable. I want my patients to walk out of my consults and feel like they “get it” with respect to their surgical plan. I want to make sure that my patients can understand what a specific implant may deliver in regard to their results. This is common when we are trying to determine the size a patient desires, and also whether or not to select a shaped highly cohesive implant compared to a round silicone gel or saline implant.

3. Make sure that you understand what to expect in terms of your recovery and postoperative instructions. In my practice I give my patients additional instructions and tools to help them recover. In addition, I follow all of my patients closely after surgery and visit with them at 1 week and 3 weeks after surgery to make sure they are healing as expected.

Cheers and Best Wishes!!! Steven Camp MD  #HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

I'm 20 years old and I want breast augmentation?

Hello! Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation is a procedure often sought by women to increase size, add upper pole fullness and projection along with improve shape and symmetry of her breasts. Women who have the breast augmentation done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been the most popular procedure in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years. Many surgeons use 18 years of age as the standard for when to offer the breast augmentation procedure to women. Maturity and the ability to make an educated decision for yourself of whether this procedure is the right one for you as well as factors regarding implant choice, size, incision placement, position of the implant, other adjunct procedures, etc are major factors. Having the maturity to understand all of the risks and benefits of the surgical procedure is also mandatory - thus, most are readily able to comprehend this at that age. 23 years of age is the FDA guideline for utilization of silicone implants.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in this procedure. Research your surgeon's education, training, as well as ability to perform this procedure. See postoperative photographs and most importantly choose the one who you feel most comfortable with and competent to meet your expectations. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant Selection Process

The FDA will only approve saline implants in patients younger than 22 years old.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Twenty years old and wanting breast augmentation

You are not the only twenty year old who has had breast augmentation or is thinking of having the procedure. Your physical and mental maturity is appropriate to proceed with the surgery. Implant choice and sizing is critical. See a plastic surgeon with experience.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Twenty years old and want a breast augmentation

Twenty years old is not too young to get breast implants. You are small in frame and an A cup. That doesn't bother some women, but others simply don't feel feminine and feel they don't look good in cloths with small breasts. It is your personal outlook that is the determining factor as to whether you should undergo the surgery. If you lack self-confidence, this can make a huge difference. I have had patients through the years that didn't want to undress in the light in front of their husbands until they had implants. It made all the difference in the world to them. Also their husbands were very appreciative.

Regarding the type of implant, I would suggest silicone as they feel and look more natural, especially in someone with very small breasts. Saline implants sometimes show wrinkles, which are less prevalent with silicone implants. Be sure to emphasize to your surgeon that you want to look natural -- if that is your goal.

As to the safety of silicone implants, within the past two weeks, I have seen 7 patients that I used silicone implants in during the late 1970's and early 80's. All were extremely happy with them and had have had no problems what-so-ever. Plus, the newer implants are greatly improved.

Good luck on your endeavor. The breast implant surgery can be very gratifying for you, and I'm sure you will be elated. I do suggest that you go to someone certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Breast implants and size for a 20 year old

aalthough i prefer silicone,  i recommend saline TUBA insertion for my young patients.

a 32 c would only require about 225-250 cc 

Breast Augmentation

Hi!

Thank you for your question,

I would recommend you discuss your options in full detail with your
board certified plastic surgeon as to what size implant would work
best aesthetically and anatomically for your body dimensions. There
are many pros and cons for both silicone and saline. However, silicone
implants tend to be more popular as they give a more natural look.
Once again, I would discuss that with your plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Dr. Sam Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Breast augmentation

You should get at least a couple of consults and bring a list of questions with you.  A "C" cup is a vague term and , as you will learn, we measure size in "cc's".  Your most important measurement is the diameter of your breast.  Get an implant that corresponds to your diameter.  Try some implants on.  It takes some time to get used to the change.  Be sure and talk about exchange of implants during your life. Wishing you all the best.  

Talmage Raine MD FACS

dr@drraine.com 

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Most of my patients tend to want to go to a full C/small D size.  Certainly the size implant that I would use on someone who is six feet tall would be much larger than the size that I would use on someone who is five feet tall in order to achieve that cup size.  There are pros and cons to saline versus silicone gel implants just as there are with subglandular versus submuscular placement of the implants.  This is something that your doctor should go over with you during your consultation.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD