Slim Lipo vs. Cool Sculpting for Belly Fat and Love Handles?

What is the best treatment to remove belly fat and love handles? Both treatments get about 80% of thumbs up on this website. The photos of smart lipo show better results, ie. more fat removed. It also seems to me that the coolsculpting in the end will be very expensive because you need 3-4 treatments while from the slim lipo only one. What do doctors that offer both treatments recommend? Thank you!

Smart Lipo vs Cool Sculpting for Love Handles

You're right that the photos on the website show better results with smart lipo. That is because smart lipo is a surgical procedure where a laser fiber is delivered under the skin into the fat cells where they are directly destroyed. The fat remnants are then removed by liposuction so the final outcome is greater with smart liposuction than with cool sculpting. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consult and treatment plan.

Lipo vs Non invasive fat removal

As a board  certified plastic surgeon. I am one of the doctors that offers many ways to get the shape you desire.  I offer the newest coolsculpt with all of the available handpieces in the office as well as all in operating room options for patients body contouring needs.  I also offer in office VASER for patients that are candidates for in office liposuction.  Vaser is a vast improvement over other energy based liposuction in that it offers tightening as well as extremely viable fat for grafting.  In my hands, patients choose coolsculpt for three major reasons. One, they simply aren't willing to accept the downtime from any form of surgery. Two, they aren't willing to accept surgical risk even if these risks are extremely small. Or three, they simply have too small of a spot of fat or trouble area that surgery would really be extreme.  The cost of the non invasive is not significantly smaller that the invasive form of treatment.  Doctors that do are usually very upfront.  Just because a treatment is noninvasive does not mean that it will ever be cheap.  There are significant cost in acquiring and maintaining technology.  Technicians to use, sell and service the equipment.  Also, marketing and consumables.  There is no cheap way to get rid of fat. If it is cheap, it is probably ineffective.  Also, please beware of the recent influx of Chinese off market devices that are coming into the US and used without FDA approval.  Any doctor that's willing to risk burns, frostbite or injury to you for a profit is a doctor you should steer clear from quickly. 

Oliver P. Simmons, MD, FACS
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Provides Improvement in Body Contour That lasts!

Hello and thank-you for your question

Our office offers both Laser Lipolysis (Slim Lipo, Smart Lipo), which are a more invasive surgical procedure involving liposuction and the non-invasive alternative Coolsculpting. Laser Assisted Liposcution are more suited for larger fat amounts of fat reduction of multiple ares. CoolSculpting is a great, FDA-approved treatment for fat reduction of the abdomen and flanks. This technology can is best suited a means to produce reduction in inches when the issue is a few extra pounds. Coolsculpting relies on Cryolipolysis due to the fact that fat cells are more sensitive to cold than are other tissues. We utilize the new Cool Advantage applicators which are much more comfortable and reduce treatment time to 35 minutes.  We currently have 4 Coolsculpting machines and can offer "Dual Sculpting" which further reduces the treatment time.  It can be used safely for off-label treatment of the upper arms, inner/outer thighs, bra-strap area, chin, and above the knees. The advanced cooling technology selectively targets and eliminates fat cells gently and gradually without affecting the surrounding tissue. Patients in our office have seen an average fat reduction of 20-25% with each treatment. Depending on the patient's body composition and outcome goals, it generally takes more than one treatment to achieve optimal results. A second treatment is general scheduled 30 to 45 days after the initial treatment. It takes about 2-3 months to get a general idea of the final results. The results are long-lasting as long as you maintain a stable healthy lifestyle. I recommend scheduling a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon well versed in all options for body contouring to determine if you an ideal candidate for CoolSculpting or laser lipolysis.

Best regards,

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Slim Lipo vs. Cool Sculpting

Slim Lipo is a type of laser assisted liposuction.  This is a surgical procedure that requires small incisions, infiltration of tumescent solution, laser delivery via a "wand" and then liposuction to remove the fat cells.  Again, this is a surgical procedure and the outcome is going to greatly depend on the skill of the surgeon you have chosen.  

Cool Sculpting is a non-surgical procedure used to remove fat in targeted areas.  It requires multiple treatments and has varied results.  Some people respond very well to non-invasive fat reduction, while others do not.  Visit an experienced plastic surgeon who performs both liposuction and Cool Sculpting to get better recommendations on which is best for you.

Trey Aquadro, M.D.
Auburn, AL

Ralph Trey Aquadro, MD
Auburn Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting vs. Slim Lipo

This is a great question.  The major difference here is how the procedure it administered and what results one can expect. Slim Lipo is a surgical and invasive treatment that requires incisions, numbing and has significant discomfort and downtime.  CoolScuplting, on the other hand, is non-surgical and non-invasive.  There is little to no downtime with CoolSculpting, and the results tend to look much more natural and smooth.  Most patients can leave the CoolSculpting treatment and go to the gym or back to work right afterwards. With Slim lipo or any liposuction procedure, the treatment leaves one in great pain requiring medication and the results are often uneven and bumpy.  There is a great deal of bruising that takes weeks to recover from. CoolScupting generally does require 2 or more treatments to achieve the desired results, as each treatment reduces the fat in the treatment area by 20-25%. But, most patients only require 2 treatments.  It is rare that a patient would require 3 or 4 treatments to achieve the desired outcome. If having a truly safe and comfortable treatment with excellent results is what you desire, I think CoolSculpting would be the healthier choice.

Edward Stokes, MD
West Hollywood Physician

Coolsculpting vs lipo

Great question!

If you prefer non-surgical, non-invasive procedures and don't mind waiting to see
results, then definitely go for coolsculpting. Any surgery carries risks associated with anesthesia, infection, and bleeding.  Coolsculpting is much safer, non-invasive, and doesn't carry the risks associated with coolsculpting. For others, they want the more immediate gratification, don't mind the risks of surgery and prefer lipo. Coolsculpting may also be cheaper and you can stretch tretments over time, which carries more financial flexibility as well.

Hope this helps!

Shamim Shakibai, MD
Los Angeles Physician

Lipo versus coolsculpting

You will always get faster results with liposuction.  One liposuction procedure can remove 70-90% of the fat in the region treated.  On the other hand, coolsculpting gets rid of up to 20% in each area per treatment.  I do dualsculpting (two coolsculpting machines used simultaneously) in my office and have used it for my own body.  It is a wonderful treatment for someone who does not want the sedation, anesthesia and downtime of liposuction or who doesn't have enough fat for liposuction.  Multiple areas can be treated on one day or you can spread out the regions treated over weeks or months.  We 'treat to transform'.  Your worst areas can be treated again until you get the results you want and there is no interruption in your daily activities.  So choose liposuction if you want your results with one treatment and don't mind some level of invasiveness.  Choose coolsculpting if you have the patience to see your results improve with additional noninvasive treatments over time without any downtime.  With either, the fat that is gone (sucked out or frozen) is gone for good.

I hope that answer helps.  Best wishes.

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

SculpSure Benefits

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

In addition, a meeting with your doctor will allow you to build a rapport and decide among treatments.

In general, SculpSure is a better fat-melting procedure than CoolSculpting and Slim Lipo in head-to-head clinical studies.

CoolSculpting takes 60-90 minutes,
SculpSure takes 25 minutes,
CoolSculpting can be painful,
SculpSure is painless,
CoolSculpting can have prolonged numbness,
SculpSure has no numbness.

SculpSure is the only FDA-approved laser to provide the quickest treatment (25-minutes) and easiest recovery (none). Patients complete the treatment and walk out of our office ready to resume their ordinary activities.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

While both Slim Lipo and CoolSculpting target unwanted fat and aim to remove these areas, Slim Lipo is an invasive, surgical procedure while CoolSculpting is a non-invasive, non-surgical treatment with absolutely zero downtime. During the procedure, patients can email, talk on the phone, watch tv, even eat and drink and immediately following, can resume their daily activities from exercising, to work, to social events.

Those patients with a significant amount of fat to remove may only qualify for a more extensive treatment, like surgical liposuction, whereas CoolSculpting is best suited for those with only a few inches and pounds to lose of stubborn fat.

Louis P. Bucky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Cool Sculpting vs Laser Liposuction

Cool Sculpting to me is a very consistent technology with reproducible results.  For liposuction I did not choose laser liposuction as a procedure for any of my patients.