Laser Liposuction Side Effects

Can Laser Lipolysis cause damage in the stomach, intestines, etc. or cause any kind of infection? Can you get pregnant after you have the Laser Lipo?

No damage

Laser Lipolysis should not cause damage to the stomach or intestines. It does not cause infection. If you can get pregnant before laser lipolysis, you can get pregnant after laser lipolysis.

Laser Liposuction

Laser liposuction uses a laser wand to deliver laser energy to the fat and skin prior to fat removal with liposuction.  The laser itself cannot cause damage to the stomach and intestines unless a gross error is made during surgery and the abdominal wall is penetrated, something that does not happen with experienced, properly trained surgeons.  

Infections are extremely uncommon with liposuction.  

Pregnancy is entirely possible after laser liposuction.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Skin Burns and puckering are probably the worst side effects with Laser Liposuction but uncommon.

Lasers were more popular a yr or two ago but as we are seeing side effects of skin burns or puckering from inexperienced docs, it is becoming less used and cheaper as well because of that. Laser lipos can do well in the right hands though. I prefer the tumescent local lipo with the micro canulas to give the best results and fast recovery. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Possible but rare

I provide antibiotics to my clients to prevent an infection. Infectio is possible but rare. Whether it can cause damage to the intestines it depends on the doctor. 

Laser liposuction risks.

The risk of laser liposuction causing damage to the stomach or intestines is very rare. During laser liposuction we use tumescent fluid to numb the treatment area. This numbing fluid creates space between the fat, muscle, and skin. This separation makes it safe to remove the fat and decreases the risk of any type of internal injury.

Infection is also a rarity. Laser Liposuction is performed in a sterile environment, and you are given antibiotics to prevent any type of infection.

You can absolutely get pregnant after laser liposuction. I would recommend waiting to have the procedure until after the pregnancy if you are trying to conceive in the next year.

Mitchell Chasin, MD
Livingston Physician

Laser liposuction

Pregnancy after liposuction is not a concern, since there is no involvement of the reproductive organs.

And in proper hands, there little risks of any major issues with any form of liposuction, including the laser lipo that is commonly done.  The cannula does not go deep enough to involve any abdominal organs.  However, the biggest risks would involve the overlying skin, if the surgeon went too superficially.  This can be avoided in experienced hands.

Reza Tirgari, MD
San Diego Physician

Post surgery effects

Hi, there! Thank you for your question. While unlikely, there is potential for the probe to penetrate deeper structures. Risk of this would be increased in the presence of an existing hernia. Infection risk is also very low, but a possibility. There should be no influence on ability to conceive following laser lipolysis. For optimal results and safety, it is very important to seek consultation and treatment from an experienced provider in aesthetic body contouring. Best wishes, Dr. David Amron

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Liposuction Side Effects

Laser liposuction has the same risks, plus burning of the skin, as does traditional liposuction. The risks do include infection, if things are not done under sterile conditions, it can include bleeding, and it can include perforation if things are not done by someone skilled in the procedure. A board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, well versed in laser lipo, should be the only ones, in my opinion, doing these procedures.

You can get pregnant after liposuction — if you are considering this soon, have your baby, then laser lipo.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Many potential devastating complications are possible but not probable with liposuction

You absolutely can become pregnant after laser lipolysis but you generally would not want to contemplate this procedure if you are currently planning on becoming pregnant due to the multiple medications you may recieve.

IF you are asking if it is possible to injure your intestines, yes it is possible but not probable in the hands of an experienced surgeon. I liken surgery to driving a car. The yellow line that separates you from the oncoming opposite traveling traffic determines live and death. As long as you stay on your side of the road, you are generally safe. However, if you cross over the line or violate the "rules of the road", the consequences CAN be devastating.

I do not want to oversimplify but there is no easy answer.

Laser liposuction side effects

Laser liposuction is associated with similar complications/side effects as traditional liposuction techniques, so infection and internal organ damage are rare risks as well. There is also a risk of burns. 

Liposuction doesn't negatively affect the reproductive system.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon