Who is Qualified to Inject Sculptra?

Who is qualified to do Sculptra injections?  Are doctors required to meet any sort of standards, requirements or complete any training before they can inject Sculptra?  Does the FDA or the Sculptra manufacturer monitor who is using Sculptra?

Doctor Answers 9

Training requirements for Sculptra injectors

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This question is actually right up my alley since I am a national trainer for Sculptra. What I can tell you is that the company itself will only train core aesthetic physicians (Plastic Surgeons, Facial Plastic Surgeons, and Dermatologists). Once these physicians are trained, they are then allowed to purchase the actual product. From here, however, the physician can choose to perform the injections themselve or delegate them to a physician extender (e.g. nurse or PA) depending upon state laws.

The most important question to ask before you have any type of injection is the training and the experience of the person who will be performing the actual injections. This is critical. I can tell you from personal experience that injector skill varies widely so make sure you are comfortable before moving forward with any facial injectable.

Board certified physician specialists and sometimes trained non-physicians

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your prescribing doctor should be board certified and have one of these qualifications:

  • Ophthalmic plastic surgeon
  • Facial plastic surgeon
  • Dermatologist

In addition, a licensed Registered Nurse (RN) or a licensed Physician's Assistant (PA) can be an appropriate provider of injectables, depending on your state's regulations, but must be supervised by a qualified doctor and trained and qualified to perform injections.

Roger A. Dailey, MD, FACS
Portland Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Who should inject Sculptra?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Only board-certified dermatologists, facial surgeons, and plastic surgeons who have undergone approved training in Sculptra are able to purchase Sculptra from the manufacturer.  Since extensive experience and skill is required to deliver a safe and beneficial treatment, even in states where physician-extenders are legally able to inject Sculptra, I would seek treatment only from one of the trained physicians.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD
New York Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

You might also like...

Question has different meanings depending on what you mean...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

if you mean who licensed to inject the material...the answer is any doctor who can get it...but if you mean who should inject it, then the answer is physicians in the so called core-specialties which basically means dermatologists and plastic surgeons...the company keeps a relatively tight control on who they sell the material to and require a level of expertise with the product...but once the product arrives at the doctor's office, there's no guarantee where it ends up...pick your doctor from one of the core group and you'll be okay...

Ken Landow, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist

Find a safe and qualified physician for Sculptra

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can start by looking for board certified plastic surgeon, ENT surgeon, and dermatologist who also received specific training for using Sculptra. Like any other treatment, Sculptra has its benefits and limitations. Make sure Sculptra is suitable to address your concerns. The qualified physician should be able to objectively help you select the best treatment options, comparing and contrasting the use of Sculptra vs. other fillers and injectables.

Best Wishes,


Stewart Wang, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Experienced, board certified physicians and surgeons specializing on the face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The maker of the Sculptra decided to limit the use of Scupltra to certain core specialties such as facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, and dermatologist. The reasons are probably several fold. Unlike fillers, Sculptra is a biostimulator, lasting up to two years. As such, any over correction also means longer period of waiting to resolve excessive treatments. Furthermore, unlike fillers, the injection techniques are very different, since one is attempting to restore collagen by thickening the dermis and restoring volume.

Probably the best person to go to receive fillers and/or biostimulators is someone who is experienced in the aesthetic analysis of the face, the qualitifications to perform facial non-surgical and surgical procedures, and the technical experience in all the fillers(hyaluronic acid, radiesse, artefill, etc), biostimulators (Sculptra, platelet rich plasma, etc), and combinations filler-biostimulator (fat grafting, for example).

George Sun, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your physician should be board certified

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your provider should be a board certified physician, and those with the best credentials to perform such treatments are those well trained in the medicine and surgery of the skin, such as dermatologists and plastic surgeons. These doctors are already trained in the injection of fillers but all physicians are only able to order Sculptra once they are directly trained by a Sculptra expert. The FDA has approved the use of Sculptra in immunocompromised individuals but the approval for the use in healthy patients is pending. Physicians may legally use Sculptra for healthy patients as an “off-label” indication.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Qualifications for injecting Sculptra

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sculptra is an FDA-approved product that stimulates collagen. The company ensures that only qualified physicians can purchase the product after appropriate training in its use. But, it's always best to be treated by the most experienced physician. This is a tremendous and unique product, but experience does matter to maximize your best results and to minimize any adverse events. Don't be afraid to ask any physician just how much Sculptra they use in their practice.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 64 reviews

Qualified Sculptra Injectors

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is an excellent question and should be asked for all injections and cosmtic procedures.  The law varies from state to state.  In certain states, because of the problems caused by non-physicians doing injections and lasers, only MDs are allowed to do these procedures.  In other states, a nurse or PA is allowed to do these procedures under the "guidance" of a physician.  What you really want to seek out is a board certified dermatologist who has been injecting patients for years with an emphasis on cosmetic dermatology.  You need to find someone skilled who is also conservative and experienced in the procedure that you want to have done.  

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.