Does Scarring Ever Fade Completely After a Breast Lift? (photo)

I'm in my young 20's and would like a lift. It has been noted to me that I have breast ptosis (genetic I assume..no children). I also feel I have large nipples. What type of lift would be best for me from what you can see in the picture and with the least scarring? I see all these pictures with a scar around the nipple and under the breasts...does this ever go away, if so, how long does it take to 100% disappear (if ever 100%)? My goal picture is also below...looks natural and even.

Breast lifts and scars

There are two issues here. Your picture suggests the need for a lift but the other picture looks like a lift and an augmentation. 

The best procedure to lift, centralize the nipple-areola, and reduce the areola size would be a true lift of the glandular breast rather than some sort of periareolar or skin dependent lift. This can be done with a "vertical" approach and a lollipop scar, but requires experience on the part of the surgeon. The scar would be around the areola and from the areola down to the inframammary crease and does not need an implant for volume. 

The best a plastic surgeon can do is tell you where the scar will be and why and that he or she will do everything they know of to make the scar end up as minimal as possible. Ultimately scar formation and looks is up to how you heal and mature scars. There is no guarantee of outcome. You have to feel comfortable with the improvement and the tradeoff of the scar. 

Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Scars

A physical exam would be necessary to determine the type of lift or type of incisions that would be required to adequately lift your breasts and reduce the size of your areolae.  I would caution you and any patient from choosing a surgeon based upon the promise of 'the least amount of scarring' since your breast lift is an investment for your future and a compromise on incision type can lead to higher rates of ptosis recurrence (or re-droop) and ultimately a lower patient satisfaction rate.  

Whenever you cut skin by definition you will trade it in for some other mark in its place.  Often these scars fade beautifully with time, but this is not something any surgeon can promise you, as a patient's propensity for healing is more genetic than technique dependent.  For example, I can do 100 breast lifts utilizing the same incision pattern and close them all exactly the same.  99 of these may come out amazing, but I can't promise that the 100th breast lift won't have a visible or hypertrophic or keloid scar.  Furthermore, two sisters may also heal entirely differently from one another.  

Scars can take up to one year to reach full maturity and they can/will continue to change and evolve over this period of time.  While I may recommend that my patients use certain scar creams post-operatively to aid in their healing, but I would never promise that a scar would disappear 100%.  

I hope this helps!

Does scarring fade away

People generally fail to give scars a chance to mature before evaluating them.  Clearly for the first 6-12 months they can be pink or discolored or hypopigmented.  Generally once they have matured they are far less visible.  The dramatically improved shape is most often well worth the effort. Ask your surgeon to see some pictures of results after scars have matured.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Scars

The scars do eventually fade.  The best thing to do is avoid the sun on the scar until it is not pink anymore and use a silicone based scar cream.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Scarring After a Breast Lift

Unfortunately scarring after a breast lift, as with any type of scarring after a cosmetic procedure, is permanent. The only thing that will change in terms of the scarring you will experience after surgery is the visibility of the scars. You will see the most dramatic improvement during the first year of your recovery. After this time, you may want to take advantage of techniques such as lasers and bleaches as prescribed by your surgeon to lighten the residual scarring. 

Miguel Delgado, MD

Breast scar management

Thank you for your question. While you will always have a scar from the surgery, the incisions usually heal in a subtle fashion.  There are approaches that can make the incisions even more subtle.  A multimodal approach can include:
1) Scar massage - starting as soon as the surgical dressings come off and the incisions are sealed
2) Silicone sheets or scar gels for about six months to year
3) Embrace - a tension reducing dressing for the first 2 months
4) Fractionated lasers to help blend the scar into the background - done as a series, starting about 4 weeks after surgery and repeated every four weeks for six months.
5) Sunscreen to prevent the scars from darkening

#HowToMakeBreastScarsFade

For most significant fading but not completely. Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips in the below link:

Breast Lift Scars

Scar healing is what I call a 50/50 rule. 50 percent of scar healing is dependent upon how the surgeon closes your incisions. The other 50 percent is how well the patient heals. The healing is dependent upon your skin type and color as well. Most patients however will notice there scars fading more and more with time, like 1-2yrs and may become so fare you will have a hard time finding them. Good luck to you.

Rady Rahban, MD

Breast Lift Scars

I see what we call a vertical breast lift for you. This means the final scar is like a lollipop.  There will always be surgical scars but they will fade over time.  If you really would like your breast reshaped, lifted, and the areolas reduced, then this is the way to go.  If the looks of the faded scars still bother you, then consider tattooing them flesh colored to help blend with the surrounding skin.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Breast lift

You have a bit of an unusual situation in that you have disproportionately large areola diameter even though your breast are not that large volume-wise. In addition, the areola are not centralized and so the typical vertical scar technique has to be customized to your specific anatomical landmarks. This might mean a slight different location of the scar from the straight vertical location.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD