Very Small Breasts-- Am I a Good Candidate for Gummy Bear Implants? (photo)

I have very small breasts that don't fit my body very well, and that they're too pointy (sorry, I dont want to post a picture with my nipples in it). I am a 32C (apparently) I'm 5'7,135 lbs. I wonder if gummy bear implants would be a good choice for me. I've heard that saline/silicone breast implants can cause rheumatoid-like symptoms and auto-immune problems, so that's why I'm considering gummy bear implants. Thank you.

Good Candidate for Gummy Bear Implants

Thank you for your question.  Both silicone and saline breast implants contain silicone in the shell of the implant.  The question of autoimmune disease or rheumatoid symptoms following breast augmentation have been addressed in a major study at John Hopkins Medical School many years ago and that particular study found no relationship between silicone breast implants and autoimmune disease.

The "gummy bear" breast implants are silicone gel implants in which the silicon is cohesive meaning that if the implant is ruptured the silicone is less likely to migrate into the tissues.

Generally speaking in a thin person such as yourself with small breasts either type of implant should be placed beneath the chest muscle to hide the outline of the implant.

The problem with saline breast implants in a thin person with small breasts is that saline implants frequently cause visible rippling that can be seen through the skin.  For this reason the silicone gel or gummy bear implants are most commonly used in thin patient's with little breast tissue and are placed under the muscle.

Be certain to consult at least 2 plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for a thorough discussion of your options and potential complications.

Breast Implant Types

Though there has been a great deal of research about breast implants, it appears that there is still a significant amount of misinformation and confusion about them. All implants are silicone. Saline implants are a silicone shell filled with saline. All silicone implants are a silicone gel inside a silicone shell. All the silicone gel today is very cohesive. The term "gummy bear" is merely a coined term for implants filled with the cohesive gel. The research has shown that there is absolutely no relationship between rheumatoid-like symptoms or auto-immune problems and silicone. I would choose silicone implants in you since you will have less tissue coverage of them than many people and the silicone implants will feel more natural than saline implants.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Bear Implants

Gummy bear #implants are made with a #silicone outer shell and are filled with a gummy-bear consistency silicone on the inside. More women tend to choose silicone #breast implants due to the #natural feel and appearance. Silicone implants are now made of a cohesive gel which are anti-leak even when cut. It is often called “gummy-bear like”.  The cohesive gummy bear like gel material found inside the implant will not migrate into the body if the shell ruptures, which means it is harder to detect a leak.

These are implants that are supposed to have really thick silicone gel just like how a gummy bear is made of thick gel so if you cut either nothing leaks out, its not an official or scientific term

Gummy Bear Implants

Your concerns about saline and silicone implants certainly require an educational consultation with a plastic surgeon- It is critical that you get adequate and appropriate information to make a good decision.  The gummy bear implants are a different type of silicone implant and here again, you should become well informed about these choices from a Board Certified plastic surgeon.  Most surgeons can get you a very nice result with a multitude of different implant options, so you will want to discuss your particular situation with a surgeon who can examine you, answer your questions, and present a reasonable plan to achieve your goals.

It's a matter of shape, not safety

Your motivation for wanting gummy bear implants is inappropriate.

These implants are chemically identical to standard silicone implants.

So if you are afraid of those, you should not get these.

You should consider saline implants or perhaps not getting breast implants at all.

You owe it to yourself to research the matter of rheumatological issues more thoroughly.  You may find that what you were told by your friend is incorrect.

Follow the link below for a thorough explanation of the pros and cons of gummy bear implants.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

Very Small Breasts-- Am I a Good Candidate for Gummy Bear Implants?

Each type of implant (saline, silicone, highly cohesive silicone) has pros and cons best reviewed with a surgeon at a consultation.

The "gummy bear" have a silicone rubber shell, and silicone gel contents, so that none of the implants on the market are free of silicone. 

When the silicone implants were removed from the market in the US, allegations as you describe were made. Studies coordinated by the FDA demonstrated no increased incidence of rheumatic disease in women with breast implants when compared with women who had no breast surgery.

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Gummy Bear Implants

"Gummy bear" implants are term used to describe a more cohesive silicone implant-- but they are still silicone. Silicone is FDA approved and there are no autoimmune diseases which have been linked to their use.

These more cohesive implants have benefits for certain patients. They typically offer less wrinkling, but if you decide to used a shaped implant, they can rotate.

I find that shaped implants are very good for patients who have ptosis (droop) and are trying to lift the breast without a specific operation for the lift without going with a larger implant that will create too much fullness on top.

In short, they are a very good tool, but you have to choose when to use them wisely. I would not generally recommend them for someone with your breast anatomy.

Also, while there is much variability between bras, I don't believe you are currently a C cup.

Andrew Rosenthal, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Implants may be a good option for you. But whichever silicone implants you choose should be fine. Their has been no association of implants with autoimmune problems this has been studied extensively in the literature.

Gummy Bear Implants?

Yes, you would be a great candidate for the Cohesive Gel Breast Implants, or Silicone Breast Implants. The Gummy Bear Implants are a bit more stiff and are usually used in Breast Reconstruction.  Saline would  be a good choice as well. As far as the Auto-Immune diseases you mentioned. There is nothing clinically proven that any breast implants cause any type of disease. Just make sure you are choosing a board certified plastic surgeon. Do your home work. Research your surgeon. All the best to you!

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon