Sudden increase in pain two weeks after liposuction - is this normal?

I had liposuction on my abdomen two weeks ago. Yesterday I had my second ultrasound massage. Previously, the pain was decreasing, but it has increased twofold after the ultrasound. Not only the muscular pain increased, but also the skin has become extremely sensitive tingly) to anything touching it. What could be the problem? I will be talking to my doctor tomorrow, but would like to hear whether such a sudden increase in pain can happen after two weeks.

Increase in pain after liposuction

Thank you for the question.  It is rather difficult to fully evaluate your situation without an in-person exam.  Typically, it takes 2-3 weeks for most bruising and postoperative discomfort to resolve and additional 2-3 months for swelling to completely subside.  It may take even longer for the final results of your operation to manifest themselves.  That being said, a sudden increase in pain is unusual and requires immediate attention of your surgeon.  There can be multiple potential causes for your extremely sensitive and tingly skin such as damaged nerves responsible for post-operative pain.

An in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your situation and guarantee an individualized medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Liposuction - severe pain after ultrasonic treatment

Thank you for asking about your liposuction recovery.

I believe the massage and/or the ultrasound has irritated your skin and the deeper healing tissues. I would suggest you discontinue these treatments.Such pain is not normal and appears directly related to the treatment.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post Liposuction Pain/ Swelling -- Start Venus Legacy, Vanquish, Exilis Ultra, Massage, Cellutone/Z Wave

I would suggest speaking to your physician as pain this far out is not that common.  Post treatment RF, massage, and oral neurontin helps.  Best, Dr. Emer.