What can I do if I notice that my gummy bear implant is starting to rotate?

I had a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using 395 cc mentor textured cohesive gel implants in August 2014. In March 2015 the right implant rotated 180 degrees, In April 2015 I had a surgery to put it back into place and a capsulotomy. But now, two months after the surgery since I am aware that it can happen I can feel and see that it has rotated just a little. Is there anything I can do to put it back into place or at least to make sure it doesn't rotate any further?

When you appreciate your implant moving

start with letting your surgeon know of your concerns.  There are some strategies that may help minimize it from moving but if the pocket is too large and there was not adherence of the capsule to the implant, I don't think there is much that you can do to prevent further rotation.  If it happens again, another procedure will be needed and consideration could be given towards using the product with the most aggressive texturing in the future.  But there has been some speculation that the most aggressive texturing can contribute towards developing anaplastic lymphoma.

Implant moving

If a breast implant has moved and the deformity is mild, I would wait and see if you could live with it.  If not, you may need another revision or consider choosing a round implant, when it moves, it looks the same.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstruction

I assume that the implant is a shaped mentor textured implant. These implants can rotate if the pocket created is larger than the implant. If rotation is happening then would see your plastic surgeon and after exam get his/her recommendations. If the rotation is obvious then would require surgery to make the pocket snug to the implant. Would include partial capsulectomies and use of acellular matrix. If tissue ingrowth is absent then a total capsulectomy may be needed.