Is 290cc too small for the look I want? (Photo)

was advised at my first consult that I should get only 290cc naturelle. I was disappointed because I want to be at least a 32dd. I am 5'1 100 lbs and currently wear a 32c. I've had 2 kids, I'm 35 years old, and I really admire the droopy look. I think it looks more natural and I want my shape I have now to stay, just bigger. Will asking for something larger be over doing it? How much larger can I go to maintain the shape I have now?

Implant size

If you want a bigger implant, go back and discuss it with your surgeon. You could go bigger, but it may look less natural. The right choice is really going to depend on your desires. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Breast augmentation: choosing the right implant after pregnancy

#Breastaugmentation: choosing the right implant after pregnancy

You can use a slightly larger implant, low 300 will get you a D but you will have less of a natural look

Is 290cc too small for the look I want?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.   

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” or "droopy look" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Implant sizes

Thank you for your question. Your Plastic Surgeon examines and measures you in order to recommend the sizes which fit you best. Dimensional breast augmentation helps ensure that you appear proportionate while achieving the look you want. If your breast base width is fairly petite- the implant volumes available to you will be less than for a larger woman, however the end result could be comparable. CC's will not determine your cup size.

I recommend that you ask what larger volumes might fit you and what the pros/cons of those may be for you. For instance, If larger implants which fit you, are an extra full projection, you may lose some of the natural upper pole slope you wanted. My patients find that trying on sizers in office helps them get a good idea of what the different volumes feel like in their clothing.

All the best

Is 290cc too small for the look I want?

Dear Angel, from your photos and description, I believe you could consider an implant larger than 290cc without losing the natural shape you desire.  However, it is difficult to state exactly how much larger you could go without specific measurements and a physical exam.  Given your height and weight, a DD cup may be "pushing the envelop",  but I think an implant than would get you to a D cup is possible.  You should feel free to get a second opinion regarding which implant size/type is in your best interest.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive breast augmentation experience and ask to try on the implants in a bra before making a final decision.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Misunderstandings

No one can assure you a cup size with any given implant volume. The larger the implant you choose, the less your breast will keep its shape, and the more it will look overly full in the upper pole (fake). You are petite and a nearly 300 cc implant will give you plenty of augmentation.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Augment

the 290cc will not make you a DD . the larger you go  - the less natural you will look.  of course as i look at the picture ,  you dont look like a c to begin with.   show pictures to your dr of what you want to look like

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

How to pick the "Right" implant size

Dear Angel 1492,

Thank you for your question and photos.
"Big" and "Small"  are relative terms and difficult to quantify.
what is "Big" to one person is "Small" to another.....
Breast size is a very personal choice.
Unfortunately bra manufactures have NOT standardized sizing or cup volume.
My specific responses are:
1)sizing:
  A)purchase several bras (full bodied and no padding) of the size you think you want to
  be. As you realize there are no standard bra (strap/cup) sizes.
  B)take a measuring cup (1 oz=30cc) place rice in a nylon
  C) try on various volumes of rice with some form fitting clothes.
2) profile of implant:
  A) for the same volume the higher the profile the narrower the base width.
  B)there is very little difference in projection between a moderate to high profile implant
  thus little affect on how the actual nipple will look.
  C) the base width of the breast should equal the base width of the implant
  D)thus I personally chose the profile based on the patients chest measurements,
  (a high profile on a wide chest may not result in the cleavage desired and
  conversely a low profile on a narrow chest may result in implant in the outside arm
  area)
3)if implant is placed under the pectoralis muscle I usually add 10% volume to what the    
 patient chooses.... To compensate for the muscle pressing down on the muscle and for
  the naturally settleing of the implant which often makes the breast appear smaller 2-3      
 months after surgery.

I trust your Plastic Surgeon is experienced and is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).
I suggest may have several different consults prior to surgery.
My best wishes,

Is 290cc too small for the look I want?

A comprehensive consultation, including a detailed examination by your local plastic surgeons will be the best way to accomplish your breast augmentation goals. You should be able to achieve the look that you are striving for with breast implants. The optimal size can only be determined through an in person consultation. Thank you for sharing your photos and question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Is 290cc too small for the look I want?

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breastdimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 DD and a 36 DD are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. Nor is there a direct correlation between implant shape or size and cup size.

Based on your photos but without an examination, it is unlikely that you will achieve a DD cup size with a 290 cc implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon