Possible allergy to lidocaine, can I still get Sculptra?

I developed a rash along my jaw line 3 days after Sculptra injections. I had Bellafill (which has no lidocaine mixed with it) around my eyes 4 weeks later and also developed a rash. Trying to determine what I'm allergic to in the topical numbing cream which has 3 different "caines" in it. If it turns out it's the lidocaine, is it possible to still have sculptra injections? Perhaps a different numbing medication mixed into the Sculptra? I used topical hydrocortisone to treat the rash.

Sculptra without Lidocaine

It is possible to inject Sculptra without Lidocaine. I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available.
A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

I am also providing a video that details steps to follow to assist you in avoiding skin problems down the road. Best wishes!

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra and Lidocaine Allergy -- Bellafill DOES have lidocaine

Bellafill does have lidocaine.  I suggest you speak to your provider about what can be done, as sculptra doesn't need lidocaine to be injected.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Best Sculptra Treatment

Hi Kimberly,

Unless you have a well documented allergy to lidocaine, which is extremely rare (I haven't seen one in 30 years of practice), you can have Sculptra injections.  Make sure that you choose your injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible allergy to Lidocaine

As others have mentioned, it is definitely possible to be treated with Sculptra and not use Lidocaine.  Just for your information though, Bellafill does have some Lidocaine in it.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Allergy to Lidocaine

I would consider consulting an allergist to ascertain if you are allergic to lidocaine or not.  Sculptra can be injected without lidocaine.  The lidocaine is simply added to numb the area and make the injections more comfortable.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Allergy to lidocaine

Thank you for your question. The lidocaine mixed in with Sculptra is purely to help with discomfort. If you can manage the discomfort through other means, for example vibration, or icing, then you should be able to have Sculptra without any use of any topical or injectable numbing medication like lidocaine.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD