I have PCOS. Will laser hair removal work on my thick facial hair?

I have PCOS and have really thick hair on lip, chin and sideburns, will laser hair removal help and if it will how many treatments are recommended?

Laser hair removal

Hi and thanks for your question.

The laser hair removal usually works on thick and dark hairs and a good option for PCOS. 

But as my colleagues explaind the underlying hormone imbalance in PCOS might need medication treatment. I suggest to see an expert

Toronto Physician

Laser hair removal in PCOS

Laser hair removal will work. But since it is face, and you have PCOS, you will require sessions, 6-10 and then maintenance sessions indefinitely on regular intervals.

Ram Chandra, MD
Edison Physician

Laser hair removal for PCOS pt

Laser treatments are very useful for PCOS patients. We treat many PCOS patients at our office, but these patients will need ongoing treatments to maintain the hair loss. These patients are some of our most satisfied clients as this is a difficult condition for many of them. I would recommend it as long as your hair type is appropriate.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician

Getting The Best Results with Laser Hair Removal

Diode lasers are typically the best treatment for laser hair removal. I suggest you see an expert for evaluation. It will take a series of treatments for improvement. Best, Dr. Emer.

PCOS & Laser Hair Removal

Abnormal hair growth affects many women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.  Clinical studies have proved the effectiveness of laser hair removal in PCOS. But without follow up treatments/medications to control PCOS, there is a high possibility for hair to grow back. 

Jiyun Kim, MD
Jersey City Pediatrician

PCOS and laser hair removal

This will improve the problem but it will be an ongoing problem. You will need LHR regularly. The hairs will gradually get better but not resolve. Control of PCOS helps.

Steven F. Weiner, MD