Is it possible to remove breast tissue and replace with an implant?

I currently wear a 36G bra. I am happy with the size but I want to correct the sagging. I also prefer the shape of implants to natural breasts. IMO breast lift results always look much better when an implant is used. I am wondering if it is possible to remove natural breast tissue and replace it with an implant? Thank you in advance.

Reduction with implants

are done routinely when you have someone with large, droopy breasts that want the 'implanted' look and who are willing to give up native breast tissue so that when the time comes for removing the implants, your breasts will be smaller than what you currently are.  This technique provides a fuller upper pole and less risk for recurring ptosis. 

Thank you for the question. Your situation is not uncommon and hopefully this response will be helpful to you and other young ladies with the same concerns.

Many patients who are starting out with a significant amount of breast tissue and/or some “sagging”, will benefit from removal of some breast skin/tissue prior to undergoing breast augmentation surgery. Otherwise, if they were to have a breast augmentation and/or breast lift at this point, they will likely not be pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

One analogy I used to describe the issues at hand is called the "sheet versus comforter" analogy. Young ladies who present with very little breast and/or  adipose tissue “coverage” (analogous to "sheets")  are more likely to achieve the “full, round” look with breast augmentation surgery since the breast implants will show themselves through the relative thin coverage present.

On the other hand, patients who present with more breast and/or adipose tissue coverage (“comforters”),  are less likely to achieve the full round look after breast augmentation surgery, because  the “roundness” of the breast implants does not show themselves through the relatively thick overlying coverage.

For these patients, who present with a significant amount of soft tissue coverage, traditional breast augmentation/lifting surgery may leave the patient dissatisfied, given that the “full, round” look is not achieved. One option for these patients is to remove breast tissue as well as breast skin during a breast reduction/lifting operation. By doing so, the plastic surgeon is essentially converting the patient from a “comforter” to a “sheet” situation. In my practice, I use a second stage breast augmentation procedure to achieve the “full, round” look that the patient is  hoping for. During this stage, selection of breast implant type, profile, size etc. becomes important.   Careful preoperative communication is one of the keys to success.

I  suggest that patients not base communication of goals  or satisfaction with the results of surgery on achieving a specific cup size. As you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
In my practice I use goal pictures to communicate with patients.  With this technique patients are able to demonstrate what they are trying to achieve and what type of looks they do not like as well. In office use of sizers under bras are helpful during the communication process.  Computer imaging technology may also be a helpful communication tool

I also use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

All types of breast lifting involved removal of some breast skin;  the lower the position of the breasts on the chest wall, the more skin that needs to be removed, in order to tighten the breast skin envelope.  In these situations, the more native breast tissue present, the more tissue that will need to be removed to help achieve the final outcome desired.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Breast tissue

Yes, most definitely. Your breast tissue can be replaced with an implant as well as combining the breast tissue and an implant for more volume and a more natural look.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

G cup

The short answer is Yes but you may obtain a better result reducing and lifting the breasts first then adding an implant if still desired.

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Why add plastic?

Just have a breast reduction by a competent plastic surgeon. It will give y ou a lift and reduction at the same time. Adding silicone is not needed and can add further complications.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD