How to Recognize Infection Symptoms After Breast Augmentation?

HI, I got a breast augmentation 1 month ago and my right breast is still red on the top and kinda tender (more than the other one). I don't have a fever. My doctor has already had me on 2 courses of different antibiotics but I don't know if I have an infection...

How can I detect if this is an infection or just normal recovery from the breast implants? Thanks

Redness after breast Augmentation

Redness can be a sign of infection or inflammation. Your board certified surgeon is best able to answer this question for you. It is extremely important for safe healing that you contact him or her with any changes.

Redness after breast Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Possible infection

Your surgeon would know if you have an infection, and it seems that they've already started your treatment to resolve the issue. The redness and tenderness can both be signs of infection, even without fever. However, they may also just be the normal signs of recovery. Please follow your surgeon's instructions because they know your situation better than us.

Possible infection

Worried about redness after breast augmentation

If you have had follow up with your surgeon then I suggest you follow his/her recommendations. Although it is good to keep your wits about you and maintain common sense, keep in mind that post-operative management requires specialized training and that is why it is important to follow up with your surgeon - that's why we're in school for so long!

Bryan Correa, MD

Bryan Correa, MD

Inflammation, fluid or infection

You should be in close contact with your surgeon.  Sometimes, a seroma (fluid collection) can create an inflammatory condition that improves with surgery to change out the implant and wash out the space.  I've had to do this once in 15 years on a breast augmentation patient.  Your surgeon can best determine if you need this or antibiotics or neither.  Inflammation may increase your risk of capsular contracture so you should stay in close contact with your surgeon. 

Inflammation, fluid or infection

Redness after breast implants

Redness and tenderness can be a signs of infection or inflammation with or without fluid collection. Your surgeon is best able to answer this question for you - you should be seeing your surgeon regularly until your symptoms have resolved entirely. It is very important that you contact him or her with any changes (increased redness, pain, fever). Best of luck.

Redness after breast implants

Infection

If your surgeon has seen you, then he or she has taken a history and done an exam to arrive at a conclusion.   The post procedure skin changes tightness, swelling, and tenderness will not usually be soft and stable until after 3 months. 

Infection

Infection after breast augmentation

Infection after breast augmentation is rare. However, this could be very serious. As with all infections, redness, fever, pain and heat at the site of surgery are the hallmarks of infection. These fortunately are rare and there are causes of fever and redness after infection. General anesthesia alone sometimes causes fever and redness can be inflammatory in nature. Sometimes the early picture is confusing. Don't wait until you have all of these symptoms, call your doctor. Although recommendations for prophylactic antibiotics change periodically, almost all surgeons will give their patients at minimum a single dose of intravenous antibiotics before the surgery, some will give antibiotics for a short period after the surgery as well. If your worried don't be afraid to call. Infection around or near the implant can lead to higher rates of capsular contraction and sometimes require removal of the implants. Hope that helps but do not self treat this question.

Infection after breast augmentation

Next Steps: Lab Work and Ultrasound

Thank you for your question. It sounds like your surgeon is doing the right things in terms of putting you on antibiotics. The next step to determine if you have an infection would be to have some lab work done and an ultrasound performed to see if you have a fluid collection. But, go with what your surgeon advices; he knows the details of your case.

Next Steps: Lab Work and Ultrasound

Redness and Tenderness after Breast Augmentation

Inflammation, redness and tenderness or pain, with or without fluid accumulation, can be a sign of a post-operative infection.  With that said, I am happy to hear that you have been following up regularly with your operating surgeon as infections are best diagnosed in clinical follow up as not every infection is associated with a corresponding fever.  If the antibiotics are not helping after two courses on different antibiotics, I would strongly recommend following up again with your operating surgeon for further workup.  It is possible that your surgeon may order some blood work to check for infection markers, such as elevated white blood cell counts, but at this time regular follow up is important until your symptoms have resolved.  Best of luck.

Recognizing breast infection

Thank you for your question. Clinical assessment is usually the best way to detemine if you have an infection. Your surgeon can also order labs to see if there are any inflammatory markers such as elevated white blood count that may help when the clinical assessment is ambiguous. I would continue to follow closely with your surgeon.

Recognizing breast infection