Realistic Expectations for Vaser Recovery?

I am 32 years male and planning to have Vaser liposuction in my abdomen and flanks only. I have seen some videos where the patient just walks out after surgery. I am planning to drive alone for the surgery and also drive back home for 20 minutes. Can I do it all alone without freinds/relatives?. Will I be in the condition for drive back to home?

Vaser Lipo

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

We do this here at out facility, but we prefer to have a driver as the garment is sometimes restrictive and turning around to look for cars is dangerous.  We also like to give a little Valium for a nice rest which will making driving a car compromised. Most of our patients have a driver or take a cab/town car.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Should I drive after liposuction?

The easy answer is that you definitely should not drive yourself home after VASER liposuction.  Even if it is performed under straight local, I ask that someone accompany all of my patients home following their procedure. 

It's always better to be safe than sorry!

VASER and driving the same day

I perform a fair amount of VASER procedures. Even when I use straight local anesthesia, which is rare, I would not advise anyone to drive til the next day. If you should get dizzy on the way home, you could become involved in an accident. I would advise you to have someone with you until the next day. It is just plain prudent to do so. 

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Some studies show that there is less injury to the body with Vaser than with traditional #liposuction. Recovery from Vaser Liposuction is based on the level of soreness and bruising experienced by the patient. But, it can vary among patients. As with traditional liposuction, there are no large incisions  or effect on the muscle and other underlying tissue. Therefore, #healing time may be less than anticipated by most. Therefore, Vaser patients may experience less #pain or discomfort, #swelling (#edema) and bruising post procedure due to the nature of the technique.  

A quicker #recovery for a patient may be two to three weeks without any strenuous activity. This includes the short period of suggested rest of 12-24 hours soon following the procedure. #Exercise and activity are contingent on how the patient feels. Mild activity is not likely to hinder recovery or healing or create problems with recovery.  However, it is recommended to acquire your doctor's permission to do so. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!

After one to three days, you should be able to return to work. As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. 
If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined. 

Liposuction, sometic surgery

I would encourage you to have someon with you.  Liposuction is real surgery and it does result in pain and discomfort.   Many times I have my patients discuss their experience with interested patients.

What to expect after VASER of the abdomen

unless your physician is planning on doing the procedure under straight local, it wouldn't be safe for you to drive home. Additionally, you may have some discomfort afterwards and it would be safer for you to have someone pick you up. 

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD