Death Rate to Breast Reduction?

I'm having breast reduction next week. I'm a 28 HH. so you can imagine the difficulties I have with back problems pain I'm a pianist and at this size its getting difficult to play for long periods and they get in way. I'm very nervous though. What's the death rate for this op.

Breast reductions are very safe!

With a 28HH, you clearly have very large breast for your body.  I have no doubt that you will feel better after a breast reduction!  If you are otherwise healthy, the mortality rate from this surgery is extremely low....extremely!  I could not even quote you a number as I have never even heard of a death surrounding a breast reduction.  Although he death rate is clearly not zero, I do not think you should be worried. 

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Death Rate to Breast Reduction?

Some of the risks/potential complications associated with breast reduction surgery include:  infection, bleeding, seroma, hematoma, wound healing problems, abnormal scarring ( hypertrophic or keloid),  loss of sensation, inability to breast-feed, breast asymmetry, necrosis of tissue or skin,  unsatisfactory cosmetic results, unpredictability of exact cup size postoperatively,  recurrence of the breast hypertrophy, and the potential for further surgery.  other risks  related to surgery in general include deep venous thrombosis (clots),  pulmonary embolism, pneumonia  and even death.
Fortunately, the majority of patients who undergo this procedure by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and board certified anesthesiologists do very well and complications tend  to be relatively minor and treatable. The severe complications are rare.

Breast Reduction

Breast reduction surgery is very safe.  The catastrophic risks are related to anesthesia, anaphylactic reactions, overdose, leg clots or pulmonary embolism which can be associated with oral contraceptive, hormone replacement therapy or underlying blood disorders.  If you have not risk factors and healthy your risk would very low.  I am sure you have reviewed your risks with your Plastic Surgeon but you can also discuss it with the anesthesiologist.

Death rate is very low.

Hi Lexitun.  Presuming you are in good health, don't smoke, and don't have any dangerous habits (like illegal drug use) the rate of serious complications from a breast reduction is less that 1/10 of 1%.   I like to tell my patients that the risk of a serious injury from the operation is less than the risk of serious injury driving yourself home from dinner at a restaurant on a Saturday night.  I hope that analogy makes it easier for you to prepare for your surgery.  Good luck!

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Mortality from breast reduction is almost unheard of.

Certainly the literature has reported the very rare death after breast reduction. I personally am unfamiliar with a death from breast reduction in the plastic surgery circles I keep.