What if I don't wash my hairs with shampoo properly after hair transplant?

I had an Hair transplant of 2000 grafts a month back . after 12 days doctor asked me to apply baby shampoo twice a day. i think i didn't apply it very well on my hairs.i just casually applied little shampoo(. so my only concern is if i don't apply shampoo properly on my transplanted hairs..will it effect hair growth ?

Shampooing after transplant

It is very important to cleanse the scalp as directed after a transplant. Bacteria, yeast, and other organisms can grow. The scabbing should definitely be resolved by this point. I would recommend lathering the scalp with baby shampoo, gently massaging the scalp with your finger tips- not finger nails, letting the lather sit for 10-12 minutes then rinsing with a slow running shower or cup of water. Repeat daily or twice daily until scabbing is resolved.

Hot Springs National Park Dermatologic Surgeon

If you don't wash your hair, there will be bacteria and oil build up. There will be thick scabbing. It is important

If you don't wash your hair, there will be bacteria and oil build up.  There will be thick scabbing.  It is important to follow your doctor's recommendations.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Washing After A Hair Transplant

Washing, that cleans debris and bacteria from the skin surface is important in promoting normal healing.

If you are a month from surgery and you still have scabs, I recommend that you wash rigorously so all scabs come off in 1-2 washes.

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Washing after transplant

Washing is critical to achieving a clean, crust free appearance and minimizing the loss of grafts. An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon