How Soon After Breast Reduction Can One Become Pregnant?

I am scheduled for breast reduction in a few weeks. I am now considering having another child, since I am of older maternal age I do would not want to wait too long. My surgery will be covered by insurance and do not want to delay plans because I don't know when I will be able to rescheduled and probably will not.

Although I will be happy not to go through another pregnancy with the pain of enormous breasts, I do not want to interfere with healing. Is it safe to become pregnant 3 months after surgery? Thanks.

Pregnancy following reduction.

Thanks for the question.  You should easily be able to start trying to become pregnant within 3 months following breast reduction surgery.  You might still have a very slight amount of swelling at that point but your breast should be healed well enough to not experience any problems.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 3 days ago

Breast Reduction and Pregnancy?

Yes it is safe to become pregnant 3 months after breast reduction surgery.

Last contacted 1 hour ago

Is it okay for me to get pregnant 3 months after Breast Reduction?

Hi there-

I think this is possible and safe for you and your baby, but probably does not represent the best planning possible....

If you are certain you want both another child and a breast reduction, I would recommend you have your baby, allow your body to recover, then have your breast reduction.

If you have the reduction first, I would be concerned that the pregnancy will produce changes that increase your chances of needing a second operation after the delivery of the baby.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Last contacted 9 hours ago

Pregnancy after breast reduction is safe and common

Pregnancy after breast reduction is very common, safe, and will not ruin the results of surgery. The breast will not sag more as the nipple position after the 'lift' in a reduction procedure is very stable. Healing will not be impacted as well because you should wait after any major surgery, breast reduction or other procedures about three normal cycles after a general anesthesia before becoming pregnant, plenty of time for complete healing from a reduction. Breast feeding will be affected, and though the breast will lactate and you can attempt to breast feed, it is most likely that you will have to supplement.

If this is your golden moment for reduction you may wish to take it. Pregnancy does require planning though. Talk to your OB as well concerning time to rest and cycle your body after anesthesia, medication planning or avoidance, and nutrition.

Best of luck.

Last contacted 6 hours ago

Pregnancy after breast reduction

Pregnancy within 6-8 weeks after breast reduction would be fine from a safety standpoint and from any risk to the fetus from medications. But if you want to become pregnant so quickly why not wait to do the reduction until after you are done having kids? The next pregnancy could ruin the results of your reduction and you might need to re-tighten it later.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Last contacted 1 day ago

Breast Reduction prior to pregnancy

Yes, waiting 3 months should be fine prior to becoming pregnant again. It sounds like you are aware that a further breast procedure is often needed afterwards and that the Breast Reduction surgery may prevent you from breast feeding.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Last contacted 1 day ago

Best to wait until after pregnancy to have breast reduction

It would be safe to get pregnant within a few weeks after breast reduction. However, pregnancy will change the results of your breast reduction as there will be some enlargement of your breasts with milk production. When your breasts return to their normal size, you will likely note some sagging or settling of your breasts. Some women experience a change in breast size and shape that persists after pregnancy such that the breasts are larger or smaller than they were before pregnancy. For all these reasons, it would be best to wait until after your family is complete to have a breast reduction. Your surgeon can then best judge the proper amount of tissue to remove to give you the most appropriate long lasting result.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 1 month ago

Pregnancy and breast reduction

If you are planning to become pregnant soon, I would probably put off the breast reduction and have it done after you completed child birth.

Last contacted 3 hours ago

Safe to get pregnant 3 months after breast reduction.

Hi.

It is entirely safe to have a pregnancy after breast reduction.  But the pregnancy, as you know, will change your breasts again. You may need a later revision.  So personally, I would recommend having the breast reduction after your last baby.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Last contacted 1 year ago

Pregnancy following breast reduction

If you like, you could become pregnant anytime following your reduction. The wounds should be well-healed and strong when engorgement occurs. However, I would recommend delaying your reduction if you are determined to become pregnant shortly thereafter. Pregnancy can certainly undo many of the benefits of your reduction and there is probably not a good reason to undergo the reduction first.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Last contacted 2 years ago