Will pigmentation caused by fraxel treatment fade away eventually? How long it will take? How about for Asian people?

pigmentation after fraxel treatment

Fraxel and Asian Skin

Fraxel is an excellent laser for patients with type I and II skin type.  However, I often defer to the eMatrix for many of my patients with Asian skin.  Fraxel runs the risk of hyper pigmentation which may take many months to resolve.  You may need hydroquinones and topical retinoids to help this resolve faster.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Asian skin and laser treatments.

Asian Fraxel repair Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation Fades Away Eventually

Hi Asian skin type,

There is a greater risk for post inflammatory hyperpigmentation in Asian patients.  Fortunately our experience has been that the discoloration always fades with time, but we are unable to predict how long it will take in individual patients.  In general the color returns to normal within 3 to 6 months.  This may vary depending on the treating physician, strength of laser treatment, and sun exposure.  Choose your treating physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.  

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon