Phentermine use before breast augmentation?

I have been using phentermine about 12mo now and am going in for breast Aug in 6 days. My last dose of phentermine was yesterday at 2pm.37.5 mg tablet. Is this enough time for it to exit my system and safely be under anesthesia? I've read so many mixed opinions on this. I'm 5'6 around 150lb

Phentermine use before breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Phenteremine will interfere with your anesthesia and may cause complications.  You must discontinue weight loss supplements such as phentermine 2-6 weeks before surgery.  Ask your surgeon for his recommendations when to stop.  

Phentermine and breast augmentation

Those drugs impose a health risk with respect of going under general anesthesia.The Anesthesiologist
I work with recommends a 2 week period off of any of these stimulant type of drugs both before and after surgery.

Paul Fortes, MD

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend letting both your Surgeon and Anesthesiologist know.  They can make a determination from there.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Phentermine before breast augmentation

You should let your surgeon know before you have your surgery so he is aware. I am not familiar with your medical history and would recommend you let your surgeon know!

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Hello gaecmomma,

Thank you for your question.  In general it is best to review every medication with your surgeon and anesthesiologist before surgery.  Phentermine has at max a 20 hour half life; therefore, all of it should be out of your system by seven days.  Good luck!

Hunter Moyer, MD

This is a good question. The most important thing is that you divulge to your surgeon  all medications including any homeopathic and or vitamins you are taking during your consultation. Pre op protocols vary as to when  and what medications  should be discontinued prior to surgery, and these decisions are usually made by your anesthesia team.It is important that you let your  surgeon know about the Phentermine  as soon as possible. 

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend you reach out to your anesthesia provider to discuss your phentermine use and timing of your last dosing.  Because of the elective nature of breast augmentation surgery, it is advisable to minimize risks as much as possible.  

Phentermine before surgery

Thank you for the question. Phentermine affects your metabolism and the rate your body processes drugs. Therefore, it will likely have an impact on your anesthesia. I generally ask my patients to stop taking it for at least a month. Do discuss with your surgeon. 

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Best to let your operating surgeon know that you just recently quit taking phentermine so he or she can discuss with the anesthesia provider. Every surgeon/anesthesiologist may have a slightly different preop protocol with respect to phentermine so best for you to be honest and open with your surgeon. Good luck!

Farah Naz Khan, MD

Phentermine

This will be decided by your anesthesiologist, but in my experience, the answer would be that 7 days is enough time.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD