Which would be best to treat dark under eye circles and thin skin, a Filler or Cool Laser Treatment? (photos)

I'm in my late 20's and I always get asked if I was crying or if I'm tired. I have deep dark reddish/purple circles underneath my eyes. I try to get sleep (two babies not easy to do) and wear mascara almost daily. I don't smoke/drink or party all night. I want to treat them and know how to prevent them from returning in the future.

Doctor Answers 2

Dark Shadows Under Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I disagree with some of what has been said.  Dark circles are typically a combination of genetics and a reflection of the vascularity that is beneath the skin.  With that said, this is a chronic thing and very few treatments work well.  You can use fillers under the eyes to help camouflage the darkness, I typically use cannulas and a thinner filler such as Belotero for that.  Lasers aren't usually that helpful, although I do a lot of laser genesis and/or Fraxel treatments and patients seem to be very happy with the results.  PRP and fat seem a little aggressive for my taste, and I don't see better results with these treatmetns compared to any of other treatments I currently offer.  Topical creams rarely help, but eye creams with vitamin A, caffeine, coffeeberry/berry extracts, or green tea can sometimes help.  It is important to know that since there are so many treatments out there for this "condition," that means there are very few that work well.  As long as you seek improvement, not cure, you will be happy with any treatment.  Seek a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Dark eye circles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have several options.  Fillers would reduce the dip under the eyelid.  This helps to get rid of shadows.  PRP treatment and/or Starblaster cream help with the darkness. Permanent filling can be achieved with fat injections.  Seek out a board-certified Facial Plastic surgeon.  Best wishes.  

David Alessi, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.