Is ScuptSure safe if I have a small umbilical hernia? And are there any skin tightening benefits ? (photos)

I have a small umbilical hernia since having kids which rules out coolsculpt and I don't have time in the foreseeable future for the downtime I would need post tummy tuck. Is sculpt sure an option to help decrease this stubborn abdominal pooch? I'm athletic and healthy, weighing 135 lb and 5'5. I would love it if it also helped tighten skin (If wishes were horses...)

Sculpsure and hernias

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Sculpsure targets the fat, however it is recommended to be away from hernias due to the potential exposure of abdominal organs with the laser. In your case putting the applicators away from the hernia should suffice to have a safe and effective procedure.

Wishing you the best in your journey

SculpSure and hernias

SculpSure, the world's first FDA indicated laser for non-surgical fat reduction of the abdomen and flanks, cannot be used over any hernia.  However, it can be used AROUND THE HERNIA.  Please see your physician for advice about contraindications with SculpSure.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Is ScuptSure safe if I have a small umbilical hernia?

You would first need to be examined by your plastic surgeon.  You might have a diastasis recti which would be better served with having a tummy tuck.    The laser applicator should not be placed over the umbilical hernia or within the vicinity of the hernia. ( about 3-5cm away from the hernia )
Sculpsure is not FDA approved for skin tightening but with the heat you might have some minimal skin improvement but it may not be significant enough for you to appreciate.

Thank you

Saul Lahijani, MD
Los Angeles Physician

Thank you for your question, Dsb76. Yes, SculpSure can address the stubborn abdominal pooch. In fact, SculpSure can melt up to 25% of your unwanted subcutaneous fat in a short in-office treatment that provides the convenience of no downtime. For your safety, the SculpSure applicator should not be placed over the umblical hernia, however, it can be placed elsewhere along your tummy and still provide tremendous results. I suggest you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure and Hernias

One of the contraindications of SculpSure is treating over umbilical hernias. However, the applicators can be strategically placed away from the hernia so that you would still benefit from the treatment. Lasers that use heat to provide results are known to cause tissue to tighten. Although SculpSure is a laser that utilizes heat skin tightening has never been officially quantified nor has it been FDA approved for skin tightening. Based off your photos you could also be a candidate for abdominoplasty, also known as a Tummy Tuck. This procedure can help you achieve a flatter, firmer, and tighter midsection that brings balance back to your body. This procedure is designed to remove excess fat and skin in the abdominal region as well as tighten muscles. My suggestion is to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to find out what procedure is best suited to address your cosmetic concerns.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure vs coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
Sculpsure unlike coolsculpting is safe if you have a small hernia. The applicators should not be placed within 5 cm of that area.  We have seen some skin tightening but its different for each person.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

SculpSure and Hernias

As you probably know SculpSure is a laser that does NOT require that the skin be pulled into the device to work on the fat pads to be be treated, so it is much more  adaptable to the area being treated. In your case the hernia and the umbilical area (fancy medical word for belly button) can be protected from the laser by appropriate placement of the device. As far as skin tightening goes, it is different in each person that is treated. The amount of tightening depends on the quality of the skin, age of the person being treated, number of pregnancies, and several other factors that vary from person to person. SculpSure will help remove the fat and how the skin adapts is dependent on the above factors.

Ben J. Tittle, MD

Can you have SculpSure with a hernia?

You can still be treated, but we would want to avoid the area of the hernia. SculpSure is not advertising that there will be any skin tightnening at this time. I do think that you could get a nice reduction in the volume if you are not ready for a tummy tuck. Good luck! 

SculpSure Nonsurgical Fat Reduction for a Patient With a Hernia

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos.  Based on your photos, you can safely perform SculpSure by using the applicator clip which covers the umbilicus (belly button).  While you may have some skin tightening with the #Cynosure SculpSure, I recommend you combine the treatment with a monopolar #radiofrequency device (#Pelleve, #Exelis Elite, #Thermi) immediately after your #SculpSure treatment.  We have remarkable results with this combination therapy in many patients with similar skin laxity after pregnancy. 

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

#skintightening, #fatreduction, #nonsurgical, #noninvasive, #RefreshDermatology, #CoolSculpt, #liposuction, #tummytuck

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Bellaire Dermatologic Surgeon

SculpSure needs to stay away from hernias

SculpSure needs to stay away from hernias to be safe.  That being said, the applicators are designed so they can be carefully positioned away from the hernia so you could very likely be treated.  The problem is that you appear to have weakened muscle and loose skin (likely from weight loss or a previous pregnancy) and while without an exam it is impossible to say for sure, it does not look like fat is your predominate issue.  SculpSure will get rid of fat but neither tighten skin nor muscle.  I hope this helps.