Is INFINI the best microneedling tool to improve acne scars? (Photo)

I am looking into Microneedling with RF, specifically the INFINI, to help improve my acne scarring. Is this the best tool for Microneedling out there? The plastic surgery office that I called has the aesthetician perform this procedure. Should I be looking for a practice where the doctor himself performs it? Or is that unusual?

INIFINI and expert treatments.

Acne scar revision is a specialised field. Before I go on about other treatments, I do believe that INFINI is a leap forward in the field of scar revision. As a heads up, I perform all forms of acne scar revision Fraxel, Profractional, Fraxel 1550, CO2 RePair, CORE CO2, fully ablative erbium, Dermapen, skin rolling - derma roller, fillers, surgical subcision etc....etc....etc... I find INFINI the most challenging procedure to perform. Why? Because, as the name suggest, treatment parameters are infinitely variable- depth 0.25- 3.5 mm. Technique - pinch to decease depth, stretch to increase depth. Treatment levels 1-20. Pulse duration 10- 1000 ms. These are all tailored according to your scar types, downtime, and MOST importantly your scar location. e.g.-- 3.5 mm Level 20, 600ms on your temple near the artery and nerve, stretch technique can be an absolute disaster. If this were to happen, it gives the INFINI treatment a bad rap. You will require a Specialist to give you the best results. I perform all INFINI treatments myself, and will not delegate it to an aesthetician. I think realistically it would take 6-12 months to train a nurse to perform this procedure, with the guidelines and SOP ( standard op. protocols) done by a dermatologist or plastics BEFORE the procedure. 

For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars.

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

INFINI and acne scarring

Thanks for your question. Yes, it has been proven effective for improving acne scarring. The INFINI delivers thermal energy down to the dermis and eliminates any damage to the skin’s surface, allowing for faster healing. The thermal energy is transmitted in multiple passes, at various depths, resulting in maximized outcomes. My patients with bad acne scarring have seen incredible results with this procedure.

German Newall, MD

Yes, Infini is the best for acne scars in my experience

The added benefit of radiofrequency cause much more collagen stimulation and remodeling than microneedles alone. I think that an aesthetician is not appropriate for using this device. I have a nurse (she's the most experienced user in the US) do the treatments. There are some docs that do it but not many. There are dramatic results seen with Infini in only 2-3 sessions. Acne scars are very hard to treat with other devices. See my link please. Dr Ibrahimi is very experienced with the Infini and if he's near you, he's a good choice.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Infini for Acne scars

I find the Infini to be a wonderful treatment for acne scars and one of my "go to" options. Acne scars are a dermatologic condition so I recommend you see a dermatologist with advanced training in lasers/devices for optimal results. In my office, I personally perform all of these procedures to optimize the results we can obtain. A consultation to review expectations and expected treatment course would be wise. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Infini for Acne

After evaluating your pictures, it seems that Infini would be a great procedure to treat your scars. There are many lasers that I personally have had luck with in regards to acne scarring. Infini has minimal downtime and provides great results. I would find a provider you are comfortable with to discuss your treatment expectations. Hope this helps.

Alan B. Brackup, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Infini for acne scarring

Thank you for the questions. There are many different options for acne scarring, but no single perfect solution. The best choice may depend on your degree of scarring, location of the scars, and overall skin pigmentation and health. In my opinion, Inifini is among the best options for many patients because it attacks the problem deep in the skin. The energy is from radiofrequency, not laser, and this reduces the potential for pigmentation complications.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Micro-needling for acne scars

Medical micro-needling has been proven to be an excellent treatment for acne scarring. I have found micro-needling to be much more effective when combined with the application of human growth factor serums at the time of the treatment. This treatment works by stimulating the skin to trigger the release of growth factors to create more collagen and elastic fibers, resulting in thicker, healthier looking skin with greater improvement in the appearance of the acne scars.
In my office, we use the ProCell Therapies system which combines motorized micro-needling with concentrated growth factor serums made from human bone marrow stem cells and are seeing excellent results in the treatment of acne scars.
A well trained aesthetician should be very capable of performing this procedure.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Standard Medical Microneedling (Manual Or Automated) Works Well For Depressed Acne Scars.

In the July, 2015 issue of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, in an peer-reviewed journal article entitled "Microneedling Therapy for Atrophic Acne Scars--An Objective Evaluation" the authors concluded "Skin microneedling is a simple, inexpensive office modality of treatment for the management of post-acne atrophic scars. It has favorable advantages as the epidermis remains intact, decreasing most of the risks and negative side effects of other invasive modalities for treatment of pos-acne scars."

My over fifteen years of personal experience in both my Upper East Side Manhattan practice and my Israel satellite facility using both traditional manual dermal rollers and automated devices (Dermapen) echoes and supports their conclusions. So, I ask, why the need for more expensive radiofrequency microneedling treatments?

Nelson Lee Novick, MD