Have I damaged my breast implant by doing too much activity?

Hi I had a breast lift and implants 2 weeks ago dual plain 375cc on my left and 350cc on my right today I was vacuuming with my left hand and I started to feel pain at the top of my left breast I know feel like the muscle at the top of my left Breast is sore and uncomfortable have I cause damage by doing to much?

It's more likely that you have a mild injury to your tissues than damage to your implant

Typically we recommend to our patients that they refrain from activities like vacuuming and lifting for a few weeks after surgery so as to avoid possible injury to the healing tissues around the implants.  The implants themselves are very durable, and I often demonstrate this to patients in consultation by doing everything from twisting them violently to throwing them against the floor!  It's the tissues that are fragile.  Healing capsules take several weeks to develop strength, and if you over stress them with activity you irritate them or tear them.  Don't forget that the muscle is also intimately attached to the capsule because the implant is under it, and the more you use that muscle, the more you strain the entire complex.  This type of injury to the tissues can lead to pain, swelling, and in some instances bleeding around the implant that could require surgery to remove the blood.  This last thing is unusual, and it is not subtle, in that if it occurs you would likely have massive acute swelling of the breast with very noticeable pain - much more than a "sore muscle feeling."  Chances are that you have strained your healing tissues, just like one would strain a muscle by working it too hard, and you should treat it the same way - with ice, rest, and anti-inflammatory medication.  If the pain is severe, or if you notice any visible changes in the breast, like swelling, firmness, or discoloration, you need to be evaluated immediately to be sure nothing worse has happened.  Good luck.

Breast Implant Damage?

After your #breast #augmentation surgery it is typically recommended to stay away from particularly strenuous movements and lifting for up to 6 weeks.  Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do.  Always contact your #boardcertified plastic surgeon if you have concerns about soreness or any new and sudden changes in the feeling of your breasts/ #implants.

At two weeks, assuming your recovery has otherwise been uncomplicated, it is unlikely you have damaged anything. It is your bodies way of telling you it may be a bit too soon for such activity. This all will improve over the next few weeks.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Pain on vacuuming 2 weeks after breast augmentation

Two weeks after breast augmentation surgery, especially if implants are placed beneath the chest muscle is too early to be doing vigorous upper body activity like vacuuming or weight lifting.  It is unlikely that you have damaged the implant however your discomfort is a sign that you need to be less active.  Of course it is important that you check with your plastic surgeon for advice.

Too much too soon

Sounds like you should be ok but ya you probably over did it for 2 weeks after surgery. The breast muscle is sore for about a month and anything that upsets it will really feel awful for a while

No damage to breast implants

You did not damage your breast implants.  You may have pulled a muscle.  This sort of event is very common early in the course of recovery.   At 2 week you can do most things.  You may experience some discomfort but you will be well.  As you increase activity let common sense, your surgeons advice, and pain be your guide.    My Best,  Dr C

Pain after breast implants

Thank you for your breast implant question.
  • It sounds as though the use of your pectoral muscles, doing your vacuuming, pulled the muscle.
  • It is very unlikely that you have damaged the implant.
  • But call your plastic surgeon, explain what happened and get clarification about what exercise and housework you should be doing at this stage. Best wishes.

Breast implant damage from overactivity

Breast implants are very durable, and it is highly unlikely that you damaged them from overactivity.  More likely is that you stressed your chest wall muscles and are sore due to that.  As long as your breasts look even, without significant swelling that corresponds to the pain (which could indicate bleeding) then there is little chance that you did any lasting damage to the muscles.  If you are concerned you should contact your Plastic Surgeon to be evaluated.  In the mean time, rest your chest wall muscles and resume activity slowly.

Did I damage my new implant?

Modern breast implants are very durable and it is unlikely that you damaged the implant itself. It is much more likely that you are feeling muscle pain secondary to the activity. This is not unusual and should resolve. Of course, if in your judgment, this represents a very unusual circumstance, I also recommend that you contact your plastic surgeon

Robert S. Feins, MD, FACS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

If you feel that you may have damaged a breast implant, see your Plastic Surgeon for an exam to confirm.  You may be using your arms to much, which would cause pain.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD