Is It Common to Feel Itchy 5 Days After CoolSculpting (Abdominal Area)?

I had CoolSculpting 5 days ago. Really no problems. I expected it to be tender, and it is--but not to the extent that I cannot workout. This morning the area feels really itchy inside of me, and its getting worse. Its not really painful, just uncomfortable. Is this because the area is healing and the numbness is wearing off? How long does this last? Is there anything I can do? I cannot take anything that will make me sleepy, as I am preparing for a trial and need to think. Thanks.

Itching sensation after CoolSculpting

A deep seated itching is a common post treatment experience after CoolSculpting. All patients will describe their experiences slightly different despite having undergone a similar procedure. Please do not concerned whether you are describing an itching versus a tenderness. We believe that the discomfort that develops after CoolSculpting is a result of the body starting to react to the freezing process and starting to clear the fat and fat cells.  This generally lasts about 10-14 days in most cases and will clear spontaneously.  I generally recommend ibuprofen and for most patients this will suffice.  As long as most patients are told ahead of time to expect something of this nature and know that it is self limited as well as normal the vast majority of patients will tolerate CoolSculpting quite well.

Long Island Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. Swelling, numbness, bruising and itching are all normal side effects from this treatment. For the swelling compression garments can help and the itching can be relieved from OTC Benadryl or other anti-histamines. All of these symptoms should only last around 10 days. Best wishes. 

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after Coolsculpting

The numbness eventually goes away. Mine took 3 weeks to dissipate. There is nothing you can do to make it go away faster. It just is what it is! The pain can be more or less with the second treatment... can't predict which it will be.
My best,
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Feeling itchy after CoolSculpting?

You can use over the counter anti-inflammatories.  I also place patients in compression.  

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including CoolSculpting® tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Itching After CoolSculpting

Itching can be a normal side effect a few days after having done a treatment with CoolSculpting. It is temporary and should resolve over the next few days. In the meantime, you may try applying a topical anti-itch cream or try a non-drowsy antihistamine. If it persists, you should always contact the person who performed your treatment for advice.

Itchy after CoolSculpting fat loss by Zeltiq

Itching may be a sign of the body digesting dead fat cells. Usually the antihistamines don't help this itching sensation. some people note lessening of the itching by using a compression garment such as Spanx, or greater compression with liposuction garments. massaging the area may also help. it usually is temporary and can last a few weeks or more, in some patients.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and feeling itchy

Itching can be normal following a CoolSculpting procedure. It should not anything to be concerned about. But, of course you should report any unusual feelings or experiences to your physician

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Itchiness After Coolsculpting

Yes, itchiness of the treated area is one of the side effects of this treatment.  It should improve with time and normally goes away within the first 2-3 weeks.  You can speak with your doctor to see if he/she can recommend anything topical if you are very uncomfortable.

Itchy After CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting is FDA-cleared for the flanks (love handles) and abdomen and is proven to be a safe and effective treatment. Typically, there is minimal to no downtime after the treatment though patients may experience temporary pain or discomfort. Side effects can include redness, bruising, swelling, tenderness to the touch, cramping, itching, tingling, and numbness. Numbness can persist up to several weeks after a procedure. Your itchiness is normal, and not something to be concerned about. Since it has only been 5 days since your treatment, I would give your symptoms some time to go away.

Common side effects after coolsculpting

In your posted question, you described common side effects after a coolsculpting treatment.  All of the side effects, including itching, vary from patient to patient, but it would not be uncommon for them to last a couple of weeks.  Anti-histamines, like Benadryl, are commonly used for itching; however, they can make people sleepy or not alert.  Best advice for you is to just give it some time and it will subside in a couple of weeks. 

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologic Surgeon