Do Breast Implants Make Pre-menstrual Breast Pain Worse?

I suffer from pre-menstrual and mod-month breast pain. It's awful. My breasts are sore all the time it seems. Will above muscle breast implants make it worse? Would dual plane be better?

Will breast implants make breast pain with menstruation worse?

It has been my experience that in the short term this may happen as the pain in the breasts with menstruation is mostly a pressure phenomenon brought about by fluid retention in the dense fibrous tissues of the breasts.  Thus with the increased pressures that can occur with postoperative swelling as well as tensions placed on tissues while they are accommodating to the implants, I think this can happen.  Once the tissues relax and the implants settle, which may take several months, I would expect this to return to the baseline where it was before implants, although that is just an expectation.  Although doubtful, the truth is that you could experience a permanent increase to your breast pain; it is just very difficult to say one way or the other absolutely for sure.  I would not expect the plane of the implants - subglandular, submuscular, or dual plane - to have a significant impact on this.  The bottom line is that you will have to decide for yourself how important breast augmentation is to you, and if it is important enough, you will have to undergo the procedure and just see if you have an increase in your pain, and if you do, is it temporary.  Good luck.

Breast implant location will not be effected by location of a breast implant

Breast pain associated with menstrual cycles would not be different if the implant was placed either above or below the muscle.  The pain may be a bit more exaggerated early in the post operative phase but will return to normal in a short period of time.  

Breast implants and pre-menstrual breast pain

I do not think breast implants make pre-menstrual breast pain worse.  Please visit with a board certified PS who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Thank you for the question. No, I do not think that the presence of breast implants make premenstrual breast pain worse. There is certainly no evidence,  either based on clinical studies or anecdotally in my practice, that this is the case.

Also, I do not think that the location of breast implants  will necessarily make a significant difference in premenstrual breast pain. However, I do think that there are many advantages in position the breast implants in the sub muscular (dual plane)  as  opposed to the sub glandular position.

Best wishes

Breast Implants and Menstrual Pain

Even those your breasts are sore before and during your menses, there is no current evidence that breast implants will make that concern worse.  Given the very large number of women who undergo breast augmentation, if menstrual pain was made worse by placing implants above or below the muscle this concern would likely be known by now.

Breast implants will have no effect on premenstrual pain.

Breast pain associated with menstruation in the short-term might be aggravated because of inflammation related to breast augmentation. When this subsides the implants will have no further affect.

Dear FG,

Thank you for your post.  Your pre-menstrual breast pain should be unchanged by a breast augmentation.  You will initially feel the soreness from the surgery and increased tightness, but long term this should not have an effect.  Regulating your menstral cycle sometimes helps, and finding guidance from your gynecologist may be a good idea.

Best Wishes,

Pablo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breat Implants and Premenstral Pain

BREAST IMPLANTS HAVE NO INFLUENCE ON PREMENSTRUAL PAIN whatsoever.  It is interesting how these totally absurd rumors start.  I guess funny ideas float around and if you hear them you just do not know the truth.  This site is very good in the distribution of very good data.  I really feel,from all I have seen, that all the questions and answers are great points of discussion.  Implants  unfortunately will not make premenstrual pain any better also.   My Best,  Dr C