Can someone please tell me what "full profile" implants are?

Full profile implants

A profile for an implant is classified as to how much they project from the chest wall. There are various classifications based on the manufacture.

Implant Profiles

Hi lola,

Thanks for your question. Profiles are just how much an implant pushed your breast tissue from the ribs. The higher the profile the more your breast will "stick out" from your body. The higher the profile the more fake they tend to look but that is also based on how wide your chest width is or base diameter in the plastic surgery community. Remember that there are even higher profiles than full such as extra high, or ultra high projection implants which usually tend to be used for breast cancer reconstruction patients. Good luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
#docmata

Full Profile Implants

The profile of a breast implant describes how much the implant projects forward from your chest.  For example: a low profile implant is wide and flat, while a high profile implant with the same volume will be more narrow and have more projection. High Profile implants can also be called “Full Profile Implants” because they are known as the implants that give you the most projecting look.  I would recommend making a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss what type of implant works best for you based on the shape and volume you are looking for, as well as your body type and measurements.

Audrey Klenke, MD
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

What are the different implants for breasts?

There are now many styles of implants but the major differences when they are implanted are really not that great. The most common ones are the medium and high profile implants. These differ in that the latter have a base that is narrower so they project more. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

I am not aware of the term full breast implants.  Currently breast implants are classified as classic or low profile, moderate profile plus, high profile, and ultra high profile to my knowledge.  To learn more about breast implant profile please read the following link:

Can someone please tell me what "full profile" implants are? = very likely it means high profile implants #breastimplants #ba

Breast implants come in different "profiles" . the profile means the anterior projection of the breast implant will give to the breast. The higher the profile the bigger and the larger the cleave they give to the breast.

The most common breast implant profiles are: 

-lwo profile ( small)
-moderate profile ( medium)
-high profile (large or full )

John Mesa, MD

Sometimes this refers to level of fill in regard to silicone implants.

Beverly Hills, CA

Full implants

Full implants are not common nomenclature. Implants are labelled based on diameter and height; when choosing within a set implant size, you can have larger diameter and smaller projection (moderate profile) versus smaller diameter and higher projection (high profile). In the middle  of the prior two styles, you can choose from moderate plus.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Sure we can...profile refers to how far the implants pushes the tissues away from the ribs in a forward direction when you are standing. There are implants with low, moderate, moderate plus, high, and extra high profiles. High and full are synonymous. The moderate and moderate plus profiles tend to be the most natural looking as the higher the profile the less natural the result. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for the question. There are several steps taken to select a specific size/profile breast implant for a specific patient. The difference between the different profiles of breast implants available have to do with the dimensions (diameter and height) of the implants. For example, the high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate profile and high profile implants.

I prefer to have a wide selection of implants (all profiles) available in the operating room. I use intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,
I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.