Is 450cc too Big for Me? (photo)

My PS has suggested 450cc high profile shaped submuscular silicone implants. I am 5'8" 135lbs currently 34 -36 AA. I want a full C that will produce some cleavage in the right bra. I am not looking to have upper pole fullness, just natural looking breasts. Are 450cc high profile too much? Should I consider a different profile or a smaller cc?

Is 450CCs too Big for Me? #breastimplants

In my opinion sizing a patient for imlants can be simplified. Sizing is not about a number. In fact, I do not even discuss numbers with my patients. If a patient walks through the door and says they want x-cc implants I have to educate them about how sizing works. The best analogy I can relate this to is buying shoes. When you go to buy shoes how do you do that? First you start with the size your foot is right? So if your foot is a 6.5 you try on all kinds of 6.5 size shoes. Some may be tall, some might be flat, and some might be somewhere in between. You would never try to buy a size 8 shoe because it would be too big for your foot right? Breast sizing is the exact same way. Implants come in several different profiles that are like different heights of shoes. Implants can be low profile, moderate profile, or high profile. There are even implants that are higher than high. That would be your high platform shoe. Each implant style give you a different look. Now, your breast has a defined width that we call the base diameter of the breast. This would be analogous to the show size. Your breast base diameter never changes. It is what it is. So now, you can choose several different style of implants that fit the number of your breast base diameter. That really narrows down what implant is best for you. So once you know your breast base diameter you can try the low, moderate, high or really high implants on. The only think you have to decide is which look you are going for. You would never put an implant that is 13 centimeters wide in a patient whose base diameter is 10 centimeters. Half the implant would be in the armpit. So, this is very simple to me. My patients get a few choices that fit their breast and that is it. I will not put an implant in a patient that is too wide for their body because it will harm them over time. Hope this helps.

Minimize complications by using smaller size implant

At size 34 each 100 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  If you are a 34 AA, 450 cc implants will take you up 4 1/2 cup sizes, which is approximately between a D and DD.  You have very little breast tissue and you will look artificial with that size implant.  I recommend a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue to increase upper pole fullness and cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant high on the chest wall over the bony prominence allows the use of a smaller size implant.  The best implants are silicone gel placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural.  The smaller the implant the less complications and less descent over time.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Sizing breast implants by cc's

When I hear questions like "Is 450cc too big for me?", I always want to respond, "Is a size 12 dress too big for me?". You can't try on a breast implant like you can a dress or a shoe but the point is that you don't start out from the size of the implant and work backwards, you start from your own breasts and figure what will fit and what effect that will have, then you find out how many cc's that is. 

Your breasts are round and will do perfectly well with a round implant. You will get no benefit from a shaped implant and can avoid cost and problems with malposition of shaped implants. You look like a mid A cup for your chest circumference and the largest increase in breast size that can be achieved with an implant that fits your breast width and looks natural is 2 cup sizes which would be a mid C cup. Anything larger will risk stretching and distorting your breasts. This would be a round, high profile implant that has a diameter that matches the inner diameter of your breast like a foot in a shoe. If this is looked up in saline-filled or gel-filled implants, the number of cc's can be determined. The rest is getting the implant positioned properly and then healed there. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

450 cc implants are fine. They are a little on the generous size, probably making you borderline C or D.  But it is not a ridiculous size.  If it was, I would be the first to tell you.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast augmentation

Thanks for your inquiry.  450 cc high profile silicone gel implant could fit on you if your base width is wide enough.  I do not think you get that king of volume to fit on your chest with a lower profile device.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Implant size thats right for you

Hello. A 450cc implant may be too large for you. A much smaller implant would definitely be more natural looking, as would a moderate profile. The most important factor when determining the size of an implant is the width of your breasts. Since your breasts are so small to begin with an implant of this size would most likely give you more fullness in your upper poles than you seem to want.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Sizing a patient for Breast Implants

Hello, thank you for your inquire and photos. I think you should go for the size and type of Implant that you PS suggested.  Your chest measures 34 to 36 which is ok to handle a full C to Small D Breast Augmentation. Each patient is different though, so, the final decision should be  made in the office between the Patient and the Plastic Surgeon.   

Best Wishes

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

High profile silicone implants

Many women ask to be certain cup size after an augmentation.  For my patients I have them select the size by using implant sizers placed in a sports bra and a cotton tank top during the consultation and at the pre-op exam.  The advantage of the high profile style is you can maximize or minimize the appearance of size because the high profile style will give you the most central fullness for any given volume.  I have done photos of patients with the sizers in place during the pre-op exam and then repeat the photos with the actual implants in place after surgery and the visual size is very similar.  The problem with trying to give you a specific cup size is dependent on the width of your breast, the measurements of your chest wall width and the circumference of your chest.  There are multiple styles of silicone implants (high profile, moderate plus profile, moderate profile and classic profile when you compare silicone implant styles) that can give you a very different look depending on which style you choose.  If you want to be specific cup, I recommend to my patients to bring the bra they want to fill and I can use that to help them figure out which size to get. 

Remember, the bra cup is actually determined by the width of the breast and most women wear the wrong bra cup size to allow them to enhance the breast appearance, prior to the surgery.  An example is wearing a B push up bra but your breast is actually a C width.  Also, another issue is the bra number, a 34 C typically is equivalent to a 36 B.  So, for your pre-op sizing choose the bra you will be comfortable in, when you get your new look.

Enjoy your new look.

David M. Creech, MD
Chandler Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size

For your stated goals and objectives, 450 cc may not be an appropriate recommendation for you.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body. Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Enhancement

I personally would not go with 450 in someone like you, that being said I am a conservative breast surgeon and have a strong preferance for a more natural look, i would have suggetsed 330

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC