Is It Normal for Silicone Implants to Move when Massaged?

Dear Dr. I had my breast augmentation done 3 weeks ago today with 350cc mentor memory gel implants. I noticed after 1 week of massaging (although feel it moreso now) that after I massage my right breast I feel the implant and feel it move. Is this normal for recovery and should I be concerned, will it subside? Please help...it feels weird right after I massage my right breast like I moved the implant out of place or something. What to do?? JJ

Implants Moving

If you are starting to experience movement of one or both implants and pain in your breast and your arm, perhaps the implant(s) has/have become displaced.  Sometimes displacement of a breast implant can impinge upon nerves in the chest or near the armpit, and this can be the source of new-onset pain.  You need an evaluation by your plastic surgeon to determine the cause of these new symptoms.  If a breast implant has indeed shifted position, surgical modification of the breast pocket can correct the problem. 

Implant movement

Some implant movement is expected and normal, too much may mean the pocket is too large.  If it does not move at all then you worry about a capsular contracture.

Silicone Breast Implants Move when Massaged?

Some movement of the breast implant with massage should be expected. Generally, plastic surgeons will develop a “pocket” for the breast implant;  the pocket may be slightly larger than the breast implant to allow for some movement (not stuck on or fixed look).

Too much movement  of the implant however can be problematic and a sign of implant  displacement;  in person examination by your plastic surgeon will be helpful.