Can breast implants ever feel like natural breasts or do they always feel fake? Is there a special implant you can get that feels quite natural? Can you combine implants with fat transfer?
Can Breast Implants Ever Feel Completely Natural?
Doctor Answers 20
there is a lot of discussion about this topic but after 20 years as a plastic surgeon and 40 years as a heterosexual male, i would say the answer is no
Feel of breast implants varies from person to person.
There is significant variation of the degree of softness and how breasts feel from person to person, even in those who have never had breast surgery. There are multiple factors in how the breasts will feel after an augmentation:
· 1. The fill material of the implant: Generally the feel of silicone is more natural than that of saline, especially in a person with very little breast tissue.
· 2. The amount of a person’s own breast tissue: If someone has a fair amount of their own breast tissue, then the feel of saline versus silicone is not as important because the existing breast tissue provides a thicker cover over the implant.
· 3. The position of the implant. Sub-muscular or sub-glandular: If an implant is under the muscle, there is additional tissue that covers the implant, usually resulting in a softer feel.
· 4. The configuration of the implant: Higher profile implants may feel firmer. Form stable implants also known as highly cohesive gel implants and commonly called “gummy bear implants”, which may be appropriate in some patients, are claimed to feel more natural, but are actually firmer than the other current types of silicone implants.
· 5. The implant covering: Smooth surface implants move more naturally than textured implants, so they feel more natural, especially when someone lies down.
· 6. Implant size. Very large implants usually do not feel or look as natural. Saline implants that are significantly over-filled definitely feel firmer.
· 7. Capsular contraction: Implants initially feel tighter and firmer and then get softer unless there is a tightening of the internal scar that forms around an implant which can make the breast feel firmer. It occurs in a lower rate with saline implants and in a sub-muscular position.
· 8. The plastic surgeon: It is not only the type and position of the implant that is important in achieving an outcome. It is also the plastic surgeon. To maximize the probability of having a pleasing result, have a consultation with a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and address your concerns .
Most patients who have undergone a breast augmentation are happy they did it.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California
Breast implants can certainly feel natural in several situations. First, silicone usually feels more natural than saline. More soft tissue coverage( breast tissue, under the muscle) enhance the coverage, and implants that are not too large in comparison to the amount of tissue volume.
You might also like...
Can breast implants ever feel completely natural?
Natural looking and feeling results
Natural feeling breast implants...
Breast Augmentation is an excellent procedure to have if you are concerned with your breast size. Breast enlargement can add curves and definition to the body's profile, while enhancing a persons breast size, and making one feel more confident about one's appearance. No implant can ever give you the feeling of a totally natural breast. However, if you are looking for an implant to give you the most natural feel, then silicone implants would be an excellent option. Silicone implants have a soft silicone shell that is filled with silicone gel, and they have a smooth textural feel to them. While Saline implants have a silicone shell that is filled to your desired size with sterile saline, they do not feel as natural as silicone. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.
Naturally Feeling Breast Implants
No surgeon can honestly guarantee naturally feeling breast implants. However, your best chance for breast implants which both appear and feel natural are silicone implants placed below the chest muscle by an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.
Many patients who have had the armpit/axillary incision (so no incision is visible on the breast) report their GYN doctor could not tell the difference during their annual breast exams. This includes patients who have had silicone as well as saline implants. So, yes, this is possible. The "gummy bear" implants (which have not been cleared by the FDA in the US) are reported by some to be quite firm. Implants are often combined with fat transfer in reconstructive patients. All the best, "Dr. Joe" Gryskiewicz
Natural Feel Of Breast Implants ??
The concept of a naturally feeling breast augmentation result varies depending upon the evaluator. Many breast augmentation results do feel quite natural, particularly using silicone gel implants that are in a submuscular position. Saline implants above the muscle in many patients certainly do not feel natural wih their associated rippling and a higher risk of some degree of capsular contracture. Not having natural feeling breast implants is an uncommon complaint in my experience and more women seem to be satisfied with their feel than not. While adding fat around a breast implant is possible, it must be done as a secondary procedure and runs the potential risk of implant rupture. It is usually done in cases of breast reconstruction and not cosmetic breast augmentation.
In the best results, breast implants feel completely natural.
1) What a fascinating range of opinions. We have seen patients go to a new gynecologist, have their breasts examined, and be told: " Normal breasts" (the doctor could not tell there were implants in the breasts). But those are the best results. There are no guarantees in surgery, and you need to try to find a good surgeon.
2) You will get the most natural results with round, smooth walled, moderate PLUS profile or high profile silicone gel breast implants.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.